A rock superstar stunned revellers at a tiny gig when he paid a surprise visit to watch an up-and-coming band.
Sir Elton John arrived at the 100-capacity Mrs Fitzherberts pub in Brighton on Sunday afternoon (December 16) for a gig by Irish rockers The Strypes.
Onlookers gaped as the Rocket Man relaxed in the venue’s small bar area with his security guards before catching the group’s set upstairs.
Bar manager Jennifer Roberts said staff had been “in a state of disbelief” when the superstar suddenly swept in with his entourage.
She said: “It was completely surreal. Everyone was very starstruck. We didn’t even know he was coming.
“He came in with his people and ordered a drink, very low key, very relaxed. It was strange to see a face you know so well in our pub. We tried just to leave him alone really so he could have a good time.”
The legendary rocker had come to see The Strypes, a hotly-tipped young four-piece who recently signed up with his management company.
The band, from Cavan in Ireland, also recently signed a record deal with Mercury Records which released an Elton John remix album earlier this year.
In years gone by the Your Song singer was known as a notorious hellraiser, but on Sunday those days appeared long gone as he sat quietly with a drink.
Bar manager Jennifer Roberts said: “He looked very dapper but he didn’t say much.
“It was all quite understated really. People kept on coming in downstairs and being told Elton John was in the building, but no one believed it.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Five deaths at one Brighton hospital unit revealed as treatment deemed not fit for purpose
- Man arrested over rape after attacker followed woman into taxi outside Wetherspoons
- Man charged over heroin overdose which killed guitarist from The Holloways
- Pressure mounts on councillors to reject application for Brighton Wheel to stay but officers say it can remain
- Nine fire crews on the scene to battle fire at Crawley tip