A High Court judge was told today (December 18) that a seven-year-old boy at the centre of a legal dispute over cancer treatment may have to undergo more surgery.
Mr Justice Bodey had been expected to make a ruling on whether Neon Roberts should undergo radiotherapy treatment against the wishes of his mother, Sally, 10 days ago.
But – at a hearing in the Family Division of the High Court in London on December 8 – the judge announced an adjournment until today because of developments in the case.
And lawyers today told the court that Neon might need another operation.
The judge had heard argument about whether Neon, who has had surgery on a brain tumour, should undergo radiotherapy treatment.
Ms Roberts, 37, a New Zealander who lives in Brighton, said she feared radiotherapy would cause Neon long-term harm.
Neon's father Ben, who lives in London and is separated from Ms Roberts, had agreed to radiotherapy but was "apprehensive", the court heard.
Doctors said Neon might die within months without radiotherapy treatment.
The case hit the headlines in early December when Ms Roberts, who was then living in Tiverton, Devon, disappeared with Neon.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Brighton and Hove making the most money in parking outside of London
- Council misses its target for building cheaper homes in Brighton and Hove
- Overtime ban reduces Southern train services in Sussex further
- Plans for selling parts of Downs put on hold
- Top chefs both opening restaurants in Brighton and Hove next year