Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Brighton teenager to take on cross-Channel swim
6:50pm Tuesday 18th December 2012 in News
Young swimmer Max Andrews is preparing to swim the Channel.
Max, 15, from Brighton is hoping to become an Olympic open water swimmer and is training hard to take part in his first swim to the continent next year.
Blatchington Mill pupil Max swims six times a week in the sea and pool training with Brighton Swimming Club and is planning to join the cross-Channel swim next summer to raise money for Chestnut Tree Hospice.
His mother Abigail said: “It is hard getting the support for kids with ambition.
“We went to see the open water swimming at the Olympics and he was just obsessed. He said that’s all he wants to do.
“He has been swimming since he was really little and is really ambitious.
“He is never bothered by the bad weather, he goes out without a wetsuit all year round.
"Last year they made him wear a wetsuit because it was so cold and he was only 14 so they were concerned because he was so young, but there’s no stopping him now.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Victim "fabricated" sex assault story - day eleven of Albion players' trial
- Dad-of-two was visiting brother and nephew when he was gunned down in Hove
- UPDATE: A27 closed in both directions near Worthing after serious accident
- Sussex artists put their skills on show
- Sussex's sewage will become drinking water under new plans