An underground restaurant could be opened in the vaults beneath a city centre church.
A planning application has been submitted to Brighton and Hove City Council to open an eatery underneath the recently restored Chapel Royal in Prince’s Place.
The developers behind the plans said the restaurant would offer “something completely new” to the Brighton dining scene.
But one furious local said the application was “downright crazy” and should be rejected.
The team behind the plans is mother and son duo Jo and Marcus Thompson, who own a number of other developments across Sussex.
If their ambitious plans are given the go-ahead, the new 80 covers restaurant would be opened in the “exciting space” under the Chapel Royal church next year.
The cavernous vaults, which no longer belong to the church, had been on sale since 2004 and were previously used for storing files.
Paul Burgess from planning consultants Lewis and Co, who is working with the Thompsons on the proposal, said it was “a fabulous idea”.
He said: “We’re not trying to open a late night venue. This would be a family restaurant based on the cavern-style restaurants you see in places like Prague.
“It’s too early to say what kind of food would be served, but if we can get this through it would be great news for the city.”
But one angry resident of Prince’s Place, who did not wish to be named, said: “This plan is of course downright crazy in view of the fact that there are already enough restaurants in this area to feed an army.
“It is a horrific idea.”
Talking point: How do you feel about a restaurant under the Chapel Royal? Is it exciting or a 'horrific idea'? Share your views by commenting below or email firstname.lastname@example.org to post your response on our letters pages.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Permanent travellers site cost is rise to £2.4 million due to fears of pollution health risk
- Firefighter in hospital after collapsing during training
- Russian man attempts to outwit 10p machine on Palace Pier with a magnet
- Man, 75, with mental health problems missing since Saturday
- 50 people argued, shouted over each other and walked out at Wild Life festival meeting