A book of condolence and a floral tribute have been set up in honour of a pub landlord who died last weekend.

Declan Mongey was found dead on the seashore near Saltdean Lido days after he was arrested over a Boxing Day brawl at The Plough Inn in Vicarage Lane, Rottingdean.

Friends and well-wishers have paid tribute to Mr Mongey, who was a tireless charity fundraiser.

The pub has set up a book of condolence and a display of flowers sent in sympathy.

Leo Day, of the Golden Lion Group, which runs The Plough, said: “There is still quite a lot of shock.

“A lot of visitors have popped in to express their sadness at Declan’s passing.

“Declan had done such an amazing job building up the pub’s profile within the community.

He really did lead the way with fundraising for local events.”

The pub won an Argus Achievement Award last year after raising £18,000 for causes including Help for Heroes and the Teenage Cancer Trust.

Mr Mongey spoke of building up a community feel, and supported events like Smugglers Night and the Rottingdean Boxing Day Pub Challenge event.

The Argus has also received tributes this week.

Marc Abura wrote: “I was very sad to hear the news about Declan.

“I knew him from the early 2000s in the Cricketers, Brighton. He was an exceptional, professional manager and a very decent man with a great sense of humour who will be sorely missed.”

Messages were also left on The Argus website.

Rottingdean_Girl said: “This is very sad news. As someone who knew Declan, I can honestly say he was one of the nicest people that I have ever met.

“He was always friendly, fun and easy to talk to.

“He was a great manager of the Plough, and was one of the main reasons I would go there over other pubs in Rottingdean.

RIP Declan, you will be sorely missed.”

A fight broke out at the pub involving up to 20 people at about 6.30pm on Boxing Day.

A 52-year-old woman broke her arm in two places.

Police said she was allegedly punched and pushed.

On Thursday Mr Mongey was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and released on bail without charge.

Friends, who said he was innocent, added Mr Mongey was upset and concerned about the publicity the allegation could attract.

He was found dead on Saturday morning. Police and are appealing for anyone who may have seen him in the Undercliff area to contact them.

A post-mortem has been carried out but police are waiting for the results of further tests before concluding a cause of death.

The Brighton and Hove Coroner is expected to hold an inquest on March 27.

Sussex Police referred Mr Mongey’s death to the Independent Police Complaints Commission because he had been in contact with police beforehand, but the IPCC said it did not need to investigate the matter.