An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Council proposes 6% council tax rise
- Gang of teenagers attack, mock and throw food at couple with learning disabilities
- Bus 'soiled' and taken out of service
- UPDATE: Five-year-old-boy hospitalised after being hit by ambulance
- Mother died after surgical blunders during routine operation