An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Brighton to London train most overcrowded in country
- Lifeboat called for girls hunting Pokemon
- Warning issued not to pull over for unmarked police vehicles on M25
- MP: Jeremy Corbyn will lose me my job
- Top office block to be converted into flats after seven-figure sale