An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Negative comments over PCSO's "pen gate" interview unfair says top cop
- Opposing demonstrations planned for Brighton in the wake of EU Referendum
- American Express: Brexit will have 'no immediate impact' on Brighton
- Concern raised for 20-year-old who has gone missing
- Homes and entrepreneurs' centre set to replace Sussex's ugliest building