An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- 40 vehicles stopped in crackdown along the A27 and A26
- Warning issued after schoolgirl is grabbed as she walks through cemetery
- Decision day for £1bn new neighbourhood
- Pier owner furious as roof plan thrown out
- Celebrity backing for 94-year-old theft victim