An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Smash causes brutal tailbacks on commuter route
- Second car in police chase hit and run
- A27 closed in both directions after air ambulance called to serious accident
- Widow’s anguish after grave is vandalised
- Passer-by pulls body of man from the sea