An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Officers saved woman stabbed 150 times
- i360 to shut for the weekend for repairs after pod shudders to a halt
- Call The Midwife writer at the hub of the story
- Boots pharmacist, 37, died after ‘fall back into heroin’
- Rail users are not being fully informed of their rights