An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder after body discovered in flat
- Road closed after serious crash involving Vauxhall Corsa and parked vehicle
- Police issue safety warning after mystery motorist playing guitar caught on camera
- ‘Beautiful brave Sam’ loses her battle for life
- Weather warning issued - expect strong winds today