An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Armed officers raid flat following two hour stand off
- 'Expect delays for rest of week', train passengers warned
- Society criticises demolition of "Brighton's best post-war building"
- Albion fans show their colours ahead of crunch clash at Boro
- Man fighting cancer gets £18,000 lottery win boost