An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- From the beat to the pulpit: Controversial policeman will be welcomed to new parish job
- Latest figures show dementia is still on the rise
- Fast Show star visits high school
- Workers’ long service rewarded
- A27 near Falmer reopen following one-car crash