An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Southern to put 119 services back on timetable but none for Sussex routes
- Update: Armed police stand-off with 72-year-old pensioner ends
- Delays on A27: Lorry and 4x4 overturned
- Now for the real test as London Bridge Station opens new concourse
- Shoreham Airshow disaster pre-inquest hearing delayed