An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Crew use thermal imaging camera to find man laying in burning Brighton flat
- Councillors approve £540 million development plans to reinvigorate Brighton seafront
- NHS releases staff Christmas party guidelines to avoid disciplinary, dismissal or a discrimination claims
- Pair of teenagers missing for two days
- MP calls for council boss to intervene on bus cuts decision