An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Boss of scandal-hit ambulance trust leaves
- Evacuation after hotel swimming pool roof collapses
- Parents of Connor Saunders awarded for their community work in son's memory
- In memory of Shoreham Airshow victims, players set new world record for longest ever football match
- Wealthy landowner who illegally cut down hundreds of trees in the South Downs is being forced to replant them