An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- All hail the return of the Palace to our Pier's name
- District judge and his former lover facing jail for stealing £1 million from clients
- Revealed: Teenager used cash made on fake Bestival tickets to fund lavish lifestyle
- Developers claim £45m Aquarena tower will not be second homes’
- Barrage of criticism over police tax plans