An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Delayed changes to one-way system could still be a disaster
- Labour’s plans to split local party help safeguard an MP’s position
- RMT suspend strike action for Poppy Day following British Legion plea
- Southern to reinstate full timetable by end of the month
- Doctor sacked over fears of patient mistreatment allowed to work again