An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Two pupils excluded after classmates alert teachers they had knives in their bags
- Slice of Brighton's prime real estate goes on the market for "just" £50m
- Fresh hope in fight to save 145-year-old Brighton pub from development into flats
- Family claim police officers just sat and watched as 19 traveller vehicles moved on to park
- £250,000 to be spent on five police drones - but purchase sparks privacy concerns