An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Parking warden pushed to the ground by parent outside school
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in smash with car
- Hurricane Gonzalo: Southern Rail running 'normal' service despite wind warning
- Help find the county’s most wanted criminals and suspects
- Councillors row over free parking plan for Christmas for Brighton and Hove shoppers