An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- UPDATED: Murder investigation launched after woman dies in Hove home
- More acts confirmed for Shoreham festival
- Six bedroom mansion looks set to become the most expensive property in Brighton
- Armed gang shot wrong man through letterbox of his Brighton home in case of mistaken identity
- Chief constable issues warning against force cuts