An overheating socket caught alight in a family home in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews were called to Brading Road in Brighton, where the family had been woken by their smoke alarm at about 5.15am.
The small electrical fire was out when fire crews from Brighton arrived.
Crew manager Andy Cornfield said: "This reiterates the importance of having a working fire alarm."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- A Snowdog for little Niamh and a staggering £337,000 for The Martlets
- Rag 'n' Bone man named winner of Brits' critics' choice award
- Calls for the end of weekly bin collections to save money and boost recycling
- Lessons 'have not been learned' despite the Marlie Farm tragedy
- Teenage riding star killed in head on car crash