Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Bexhill to Hastings road protesters prepare for bailiffs
11:50am Friday 11th January 2013 in News
Link road protesters are on red alert after bailiffs made exploratory recces on their positions yesterday (January 10).
Around 20 activists have been camped out in trees and in tunnels along the route of the controversial Bexhill to Hastings link road since December 21.
Specialist bailiffs, many of whom are said to be ex-Royal Marines, have been tasked with removing the protestors to allow workmen to clear the trees for the road.
Activist Indiana told The Argus that the men, who climb the trees to get to them, had spent the day inspecting their camps.
She said: “It looks like they are sussing out a plan of action so we’re all on red alert.
“We’re up and ready first thing so they won’t catch us off guard.”
Along with three main camps, the protestors have dug tunnels in an attempt to slow clearance progress.
They have also constructed tree houses in several of the oak trees which are planned to be felled.
No arrests were made yesterday with the workmen said to have made little progress.
Construction bosses hope to have the route cleared by the end of March in order for the road building to start soon after.
The road, which was given the green light in March last year, will cost £94 million and join the A259 to B2092.
Supporters say it is vital to improve congestion and help redevelop the area.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Thieves target Brighton community centre three nights in a row
- Learn about Brighton's history in guided walking tour
- Nine days of fun planned for Burgess Hill in June
- Plant lovers swap seedlings to celebrate spring in Sussex
- Sussex film tells of struggle with dementia