Employees at all seven Jessops stores in Sussex face losing their jobs after administrators revealed every shop was to close.
The camera chain went into administration on Wednesday after it had struggled to combat the online market and the rise of camera phones.
Pricewaterhouse Cooper (PwC) were appointed administrators and announced today all the stores will shut, including those in in Brighton, Eastbourne, Horsham, Crawley, Worthing, Hastings and Chichester meaning 62 staff will lose their jobs..
Rob Hunt, joint administrator and partner PwC said: "Since my appointment, we have reviewed the position of the business and held extensive discussions with suppliers around their support for ongoing trading.
“It is apparent that we cannot continue to trade and as a result we have had to make the difficult decision to begin the closure of all 187 Jessops stores at the close of business today.
“Regrettably, this will result in around 1370 job losses across the stores with further job losses likely, in due course, at the head office in Leicester.
“The stock will be collected over the coming days and returned to a central warehouse. It will be returned to suppliers if they are entitled to it. As a consequence of the closure, Jessops is no longer able to accept returned product from customers.
“This is an extremely sad day for Jessops and its employees. We are very grateful for the support we have received since our appointment and we will continue to ensure that employees are paid as they assist us during the closure.”
- Do you or someone you know work for Jessops in Sussex? Call the newsdesk on 01273 544525
- Thousands raised in one day after death of Alex Maynard from Brighton
- Parents ‘horrified’ by rape of 14-year-old girl in Ovingdean nature reserve
- Bonfire society to charge an admission fee for the first time to Lewes biggest fireworks night event
- UPDATED: Man in hospital with life threatening head injuries after being hit by lorry on A259
- Delays and cancellations on the buses expected until the early evening in Brighton and Hove