Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
400-year-old trees are felled to make way for new road in Hastings
12:10pm Wednesday 16th January 2013 in News
Construction workers have felled four 400-year-old oak trees to make way for a controversial road.
Specialist bailiffs cleared protestors from the site so that work could begin on the Bexhill to Hastings link road.
The twenty plus activists who remain at two protest camps nearby say that they are battening down the hatches ahead of a planned mass eviction.
Activists had been camped in and around the four trees, just off Crowhurst Road, Hastings, since last week.
However, on Monday, with the bulldozers and chainsaws set to go to work on the oaks, the bailiffs were sent in.
Although no arrests were made, half a dozen protestors were removed from the trees by the specially trained climbers.
Patrick Nicholson, a member of the Combe Haven Defenders, said: “They were majestic trees. We were told that they would leave the largest of the trees but they cut that down as well.”
The group are now on high alert after learning that a mass eviction is planned for this week.
When The Argus visited the protestors last week, tunneler Simon ‘Sitting Bull’ William Medhurst, said that he was willing to risk his life for the cause.
The road, which is costing £94m, will run for 3.4 miles between the A259 B2092.
Clearing work is hoped to be completed by the end of March.