Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Man on the road to recovery after attack on night out in Brighton
A young man who was left fighting for his life after being attacked on a night out has amazed doctors with his recovery.
Ryan Geall, 21, is still being looked after at specialist brain hospital Hurstwood Park Neurosciences Centre in Haywards Heath, but should be able to walk again soon.
He said he wanted to give “a massive thanks to everyone for all the support."
He added: “It means a lot. Fingers crossed I’ll be out and walking soon.”
Mr Geall, a keen swimmer and footballer, was hit on the back of the head as he walked out of a club in East Street, Brighton, at 4am on December 28.
He suffered massive bleeding inside his skull and police feared he would die.
He was whisked to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton before being transferred to Haywards Heath.
Mr Geall’s father, Andy Geall, told The Argus that the doctor who initially treated his son in Brighton saw him last week and was amazed by his progress.
Andy, who lives with his wife Catherine and other children, Ross and Paris, in Lancing, said: “The doctor said he did not expect to see Ryan again and especially not so well – he was amazed.
“It was touch and go whether he would get through the night initially. It has been really hard on him. He has gone through a range of emotions and has said he wished he had given up – but Catherine would not allow that.”
Nathan Mhuto, 23, of Outram Road, Bognor, appeared before Brighton Magistrates’ Court on December 31 charged with grievous bodily harm, and has been bailed to appear on February 11.
Police continue to appeal for witnesses to the attack by calling 101.