Protestors evicted from main camp as chainsaws move in

Link road protestors have been evicted from their main base camp after nearly a month of living in the trees.

Bailiffs went in this morning to clear the final few activists from the tree-tops and tunnels.

Around 20 protestors have been delaying work on the Bexhill to Hastings link road since December 21.

The controversial £94m route will link the A259 and B2092.

More to come.

Protestors in the trees last week.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:12pm Thu 17 Jan 13

NickBrt says...

Good riddance. Caroline and Jason will no doubt now invite them to Brighton to a Civic Reception.
Good riddance. Caroline and Jason will no doubt now invite them to Brighton to a Civic Reception. NickBrt

12:16pm Thu 17 Jan 13

FatherTed11 says...

NickBrt wrote:
Good riddance. Caroline and Jason will no doubt now invite them to Brighton to a Civic Reception.
Haha
[quote][p][bold]NickBrt[/bold] wrote: Good riddance. Caroline and Jason will no doubt now invite them to Brighton to a Civic Reception.[/p][/quote]Haha FatherTed11

12:37pm Thu 17 Jan 13

theleftygiraffe says...

Yeah good riddance, who needs trees and tranquil countryside anyway...
Yeah good riddance, who needs trees and tranquil countryside anyway... theleftygiraffe

12:59pm Thu 17 Jan 13

uniteagainstparkingcharges says...

I hope these activists can stop this unnecessary project from being completed.

It is admirable work for something that is worth protecting.
I hope these activists can stop this unnecessary project from being completed. It is admirable work for something that is worth protecting. uniteagainstparkingcharges

1:58pm Thu 17 Jan 13

spa301 says...

Whilst I'm not too knowledgable about the details, I admire these activists for their resilience and tenacity in holding out in these bitterly cold conditions.
They obviously hold strong beliefs and are prepared to act on them whatever the hardships.
Unlike some of the armchair warriors inhabiting this site.
Whilst I'm not too knowledgable about the details, I admire these activists for their resilience and tenacity in holding out in these bitterly cold conditions. They obviously hold strong beliefs and are prepared to act on them whatever the hardships. Unlike some of the armchair warriors inhabiting this site. spa301

1:59pm Thu 17 Jan 13

jonmik says...

What a futile farce, Hastings and Bexhill population 120 000, protestors about 20, very few from our area. The road is overwhelmingly supported by residents, it takes rent a loon to try and do something. I see Chief Sitting Bull was too cold to stay in his tunnel and had to come out, so much for staying a week in his cess pit. Go home you are just making yourselves look even more stupid
What a futile farce, Hastings and Bexhill population 120 000, protestors about 20, very few from our area. The road is overwhelmingly supported by residents, it takes rent a loon to try and do something. I see Chief Sitting Bull was too cold to stay in his tunnel and had to come out, so much for staying a week in his cess pit. Go home you are just making yourselves look even more stupid jonmik

2:10pm Thu 17 Jan 13

NickBrt says...

Go home to mummy and daddy, collect your allowance, maybe even have a wash and wait for next protest once snow been and gone.
Go home to mummy and daddy, collect your allowance, maybe even have a wash and wait for next protest once snow been and gone. NickBrt

2:16pm Thu 17 Jan 13

jonmik says...

Hopefully some will be having to go home and explain to the DWP why they are not available for work. As their details of charges appear their details are forwarded on.
Hopefully some will be having to go home and explain to the DWP why they are not available for work. As their details of charges appear their details are forwarded on. jonmik

2:57pm Thu 17 Jan 13

saraman says...

Their protests are totally undemocratic but I bet that the majority are enjoying the benefits of a democratic country without contributing a bean. They are just freeloading garbage. The bulldozers should have just moved in and cleared them without all the pussyfooting about.
Their protests are totally undemocratic but I bet that the majority are enjoying the benefits of a democratic country without contributing a bean. They are just freeloading garbage. The bulldozers should have just moved in and cleared them without all the pussyfooting about. saraman

4:06pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Fairfax Sakes says...

Turn the snow hoses on them!
Turn the snow hoses on them! Fairfax Sakes

4:07pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Fairfax Sakes says...

Turn the snow hoses on them!
Turn the snow hoses on them! Fairfax Sakes

4:41pm Thu 17 Jan 13

nosolution says...

The word in the woods is that they hurried up the clearance of the trees in anticipation of new forthcoming evidence of the landing site of the Normans,pre Battle of Hastings.If this is proved then the area would become a World Heritage site.In other words of International importance and not just a local issue.Once it,s lost it's lost.Just think of the tourist dollars that won't be coming in now.Battle Abbey up the road brings in multi million pounds a year.Hastings has lost out once again...
The word in the woods is that they hurried up the clearance of the trees in anticipation of new forthcoming evidence of the landing site of the Normans,pre Battle of Hastings.If this is proved then the area would become a World Heritage site.In other words of International importance and not just a local issue.Once it,s lost it's lost.Just think of the tourist dollars that won't be coming in now.Battle Abbey up the road brings in multi million pounds a year.Hastings has lost out once again... nosolution

5:07pm Thu 17 Jan 13

saraman says...

nosolution wrote:
The word in the woods is that they hurried up the clearance of the trees in anticipation of new forthcoming evidence of the landing site of the Normans,pre Battle of Hastings.If this is proved then the area would become a World Heritage site.In other words of International importance and not just a local issue.Once it,s lost it's lost.Just think of the tourist dollars that won't be coming in now.Battle Abbey up the road brings in multi million pounds a year.Hastings has lost out once again...
Twit.
[quote][p][bold]nosolution[/bold] wrote: The word in the woods is that they hurried up the clearance of the trees in anticipation of new forthcoming evidence of the landing site of the Normans,pre Battle of Hastings.If this is proved then the area would become a World Heritage site.In other words of International importance and not just a local issue.Once it,s lost it's lost.Just think of the tourist dollars that won't be coming in now.Battle Abbey up the road brings in multi million pounds a year.Hastings has lost out once again...[/p][/quote]Twit. saraman

5:30pm Thu 17 Jan 13

AmboGuy says...

These selfish pathetic people had no interest in what the local residents wanted. They did nothing more than make utter fools out if themselves and manage to **ss off the locals who badly need this road to be built.
These selfish pathetic people had no interest in what the local residents wanted. They did nothing more than make utter fools out if themselves and manage to **ss off the locals who badly need this road to be built. AmboGuy

8:09pm Thu 17 Jan 13

nosolution says...

According to East Sussex County council out of 65,000 questionaires sent to residents only 2139 replied that they wanted "a link road" ,note not necessarily this one.An ESCC traffic survey noted that 80-95% of traffic only went from Bexhill to Hastings and/or back again and most travel less than 6 miles a journey.Again ESCC predict 14% more traffic in the 2 towns as this is what happens when link roads are built with most coming from Bexhill and entering Hastings from the north.St.Leonards was identified to lose out on passing trade....
According to East Sussex County council out of 65,000 questionaires sent to residents only 2139 replied that they wanted "a link road" ,note not necessarily this one.An ESCC traffic survey noted that 80-95% of traffic only went from Bexhill to Hastings and/or back again and most travel less than 6 miles a journey.Again ESCC predict 14% more traffic in the 2 towns as this is what happens when link roads are built with most coming from Bexhill and entering Hastings from the north.St.Leonards was identified to lose out on passing trade.... nosolution

8:15pm Thu 17 Jan 13

jonmik says...

saraman wrote:
nosolution wrote:
The word in the woods is that they hurried up the clearance of the trees in anticipation of new forthcoming evidence of the landing site of the Normans,pre Battle of Hastings.If this is proved then the area would become a World Heritage site.In other words of International importance and not just a local issue.Once it,s lost it's lost.Just think of the tourist dollars that won't be coming in now.Battle Abbey up the road brings in multi million pounds a year.Hastings has lost out once again...
Twit.
seconded
[quote][p][bold]saraman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nosolution[/bold] wrote: The word in the woods is that they hurried up the clearance of the trees in anticipation of new forthcoming evidence of the landing site of the Normans,pre Battle of Hastings.If this is proved then the area would become a World Heritage site.In other words of International importance and not just a local issue.Once it,s lost it's lost.Just think of the tourist dollars that won't be coming in now.Battle Abbey up the road brings in multi million pounds a year.Hastings has lost out once again...[/p][/quote]Twit.[/p][/quote]seconded jonmik

8:21pm Thu 17 Jan 13

jonmik says...

Oh yes the fabled Longboat, there was a similar conspiracy ancient boat rumour when the Marina was developed in Eastbourne. This additional Longboat, found by a bloke years ago and reburied, just fits in with another bloke who just happens to be opposed to the road with a theory about whee the Battle happened, of course no other fighting could have taken place round here, the theory is not backed by a jot of evidence, and is suddenly brought up as the work starts, not during the 20 years of discussions, planning, and Archaeological investigations. A Desperate minority of campaigners grasping at anything, since their defence of the Newts and Water Snails and Bitterns didn't quite cut it, accept defeat and clear off
Oh yes the fabled Longboat, there was a similar conspiracy ancient boat rumour when the Marina was developed in Eastbourne. This additional Longboat, found by a bloke years ago and reburied, just fits in with another bloke who just happens to be opposed to the road with a theory about whee the Battle happened, of course no other fighting could have taken place round here, the theory is not backed by a jot of evidence, and is suddenly brought up as the work starts, not during the 20 years of discussions, planning, and Archaeological investigations. A Desperate minority of campaigners grasping at anything, since their defence of the Newts and Water Snails and Bitterns didn't quite cut it, accept defeat and clear off jonmik

8:29pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Sussex jim says...

This self-styled "sitting bull" was actually allowed out last night to sleep in the warm and then return to his hole after breakfast.
What useless security firm are we employing at public expense?
This self-styled "sitting bull" was actually allowed out last night to sleep in the warm and then return to his hole after breakfast. What useless security firm are we employing at public expense? Sussex jim

9:26pm Thu 17 Jan 13

Hoarder12345444 says...

I'll say it again, there is loads and loads of countryside completely unspoiled in Sussex. A few trees felled and a new road will make no difference. There is so much to see. So many fields to walkthrough, woods to forage in, so worry not protesting fellows, you could get lost for miles in the countryside of wonderful Sussex!!
I'll say it again, there is loads and loads of countryside completely unspoiled in Sussex. A few trees felled and a new road will make no difference. There is so much to see. So many fields to walkthrough, woods to forage in, so worry not protesting fellows, you could get lost for miles in the countryside of wonderful Sussex!! Hoarder12345444

11:20pm Thu 17 Jan 13

jonmik says...

Sitting full of Bull gave up this afternoon after 1 evening part of which was sitting by the fire, he had kitted himself with bags to use for toileting, etc, but never thought about the cold in winter d'uh,then went back in, then came back out and finally gave up, you couldn't make it up could you, not really the second battle of Hastings, bit pathetic really
Sitting full of Bull gave up this afternoon after 1 evening part of which was sitting by the fire, he had kitted himself with bags to use for toileting, etc, but never thought about the cold in winter d'uh,then went back in, then came back out and finally gave up, you couldn't make it up could you, not really the second battle of Hastings, bit pathetic really jonmik

11:14am Fri 18 Jan 13

redwing says...

Hoarder12345444 wrote:
I'll say it again, there is loads and loads of countryside completely unspoiled in Sussex. A few trees felled and a new road will make no difference. There is so much to see. So many fields to walkthrough, woods to forage in, so worry not protesting fellows, you could get lost for miles in the countryside of wonderful Sussex!!
I suggest you go and stand anywhere within a mile of one of the existing major roads before delivering that kind of nonsense. A 'field' or a 'wood' may contain little bio-diversity these days thanks to modern methods of food production and patterns of land ownership that serve only the rich. What's left of the "beautiful" countryside is heavily controlled, policed and dominated by them.
Well done to the protesters.
[quote][p][bold]Hoarder12345444[/bold] wrote: I'll say it again, there is loads and loads of countryside completely unspoiled in Sussex. A few trees felled and a new road will make no difference. There is so much to see. So many fields to walkthrough, woods to forage in, so worry not protesting fellows, you could get lost for miles in the countryside of wonderful Sussex!![/p][/quote]I suggest you go and stand anywhere within a mile of one of the existing major roads before delivering that kind of nonsense. A 'field' or a 'wood' may contain little bio-diversity these days thanks to modern methods of food production and patterns of land ownership that serve only the rich. What's left of the "beautiful" countryside is heavily controlled, policed and dominated by them. Well done to the protesters. redwing

7:55pm Fri 18 Jan 13

Hoarder12345444 says...

redwing wrote:
Hoarder12345444 wrote:
I'll say it again, there is loads and loads of countryside completely unspoiled in Sussex. A few trees felled and a new road will make no difference. There is so much to see. So many fields to walkthrough, woods to forage in, so worry not protesting fellows, you could get lost for miles in the countryside of wonderful Sussex!!
I suggest you go and stand anywhere within a mile of one of the existing major roads before delivering that kind of nonsense. A 'field' or a 'wood' may contain little bio-diversity these days thanks to modern methods of food production and patterns of land ownership that serve only the rich. What's left of the "beautiful" countryside is heavily controlled, policed and dominated by them.
Well done to the protesters.
Just look on any map you fool, there is so much countryside, or perhaps we should still be going around in horse and cart? Idiot.
[quote][p][bold]redwing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hoarder12345444[/bold] wrote: I'll say it again, there is loads and loads of countryside completely unspoiled in Sussex. A few trees felled and a new road will make no difference. There is so much to see. So many fields to walkthrough, woods to forage in, so worry not protesting fellows, you could get lost for miles in the countryside of wonderful Sussex!![/p][/quote]I suggest you go and stand anywhere within a mile of one of the existing major roads before delivering that kind of nonsense. A 'field' or a 'wood' may contain little bio-diversity these days thanks to modern methods of food production and patterns of land ownership that serve only the rich. What's left of the "beautiful" countryside is heavily controlled, policed and dominated by them. Well done to the protesters.[/p][/quote]Just look on any map you fool, there is so much countryside, or perhaps we should still be going around in horse and cart? Idiot. Hoarder12345444

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree