Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Wheat bags spark bungalow fire
9:49am Sunday 20th January 2013 in News
Firefighters have repeated their warning about wheat bags after an elderly couple had to be rescued when their home filled with smoke.
The fire started when a microwave being used to heat up the bags caught alight in the kitchen of a bungalow in Loxwood Avenue,Worthing, just after 11pm last night.
Crews were able to contain the fire to the kitchen although the semi-detached building suffered smoke damage.
The couple were treated by paramedics at the scene for smoke inhalation.
A spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said there had been a few similar incidents in the county.
He advised people using wheat bags to follow manufacturer’s instructions, not to leave a microwave unattended and to watch for overuse, such as burning smells.