Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Red card for Sussex sports pitch snowmen
8:40am Sunday 27th January 2013 in News
A council has been slammed for destroying snowmen with hedge-trimmers.
Stephen Divers from Shoreham spotted a council worker attacking a snowman in Buckingham Park in Shoreham.
He asked: “Is this a step too far for health and safety?”
A spokesman for Adur and Worthing councils admitted the snowmen had been destroyed to clear sports pitches.
She added: “When the weather breaks after snow has laid, we have to get back to normal as quickly as possible.
“Unfortunately snowmen that have been built will remain for weeks rather than hours as they freeze into a very compact lump.
“Where they are positioned on sports pitches, we have to break them up before games can be played and thus the reason for the snowmen around Adur and Worthing parks have had to be destroyed this week.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Police warn - do not approach men wanted in connection with Hove shooting murder
- Wanted man believed to be in Brighton
- Reap what you sow - join in harvest fun
- Woman arrested on suspicion of stealing from Seaford charity shop
- Hove hospice on the lookout for volunteers