Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Family set up charity in memory of Eastbourne man Adam
THE family and friends of a man who died of altitude sickness are launching a charity to raise awareness of the potentially fatal condition.
Adam Savory, 25, from Eastbourne, died in Peru last year while travelling with a friend.
An inquest found that the learning support assistant died of altitude sickness in the city of Cusco, which is 3,000 metres above sea level.
The hearing was told that Mr Savory had been struggling with the altitude for a few days before becoming “feverish” and “deluded”.
His condition took a turn for the worst on September 10, and he died the following day.
Following the hearing, Mr Savory’s father, Chris, paid tribute to his son.
He said: “Adam was a well-educated, well-balanced and well-liked person.
“He was travelling with his good friend on a trip he had meticulously planned.”
Speaking about the charity, which is being set up in his son’s memory, Chris said: “We have called it Para Monte, which means beyond the mountains, to raise further awareness of altitude sickness.
“We think it is the best way for us to preserve Adam’s memory.
“Not many people know about altitude sickness, and we hope that we can highlight the dangers and prevent this happening to another family.”
A website is being developed and friends and family hope to confirm dates for a variety of events in the coming months.
He added: “A memorial fund was set up in September and donations plus fundraising events have now achieved the financial level for registered charity status.
“More planned events will be forthcoming.”
To help out, email email@example.com.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Lose your head at Brighton Fringe - literally
- Sussex hospital gets blood recycling technology
- Sussex hospital boss backs calls for local food
- Sussex MP's bid for civil partnerships for straight couples fails to derail gay marriage bill
- Businessman is still fighting to get Hove ice rink approved