Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Brighton and Hove GCSE results among UK best
8:10pm Monday 28th January 2013 in News
The city has united in congratulating its students after an improvement in GCSE results put it among the country’s best.
New Government statistics placed Brighton and Hove in the top 20 most improved local authorities.
Across the city’s secondary schools and academies 56.4% of students gained five or more A* – C grades including English and maths, up 3.6 percentage points on 2011.
The chair of the council’s children and young people’s committee Councillor Sue Shanks said: “I congratulate all our students and their teachers on this massive improvement in GCSE results, particularly in a year when the overall improvement nationally was so small.”
A spokesman for the Labour group said: “We need to continue to build on this success and make all our schools the very best we can by giving them the support and encouragement they deserve.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Albion players cleared of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman
- Your say: Are the Greens fit to run Brighton and Hove City Council?
- Mum’s frustration after Sussex health panel refuses to pay for eye op
- Green city councillor resigns seat
- Tributes to dad struck by lorry and killed on A27 in Worthing