Anti-racism campaigners are urging people to join their opposition to a nationalist march.
Brighton Unite Against Fascism has launched a “unity statement” against the planned return of the March for England on April 21.
It states: “In Brighton we all stand together. And when someone tries to threaten our community we must stand together even more firmly.”
Signatories so far include Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas, Brighton and Hove City Council leader Jason Kitcat, right, Green and Labour councillors, trade unionists and former council leader Simon Burgess.
Roland Ravenhill, of Brighton Love Music Hate Racism, said: “The diversity and unity of Brighton is something worth supporting and racist marches do not sit well here.
“We encourage people to read and sign the statement.”
At last year’s March for England anti-racist protesters prevented the police from escorting the march along its planned route in Queen’s Road.
Hundreds of counter-demonstrators lined the street to confront up to 140 nationalists from marching.
Police used horses, batons and pepper-spray as they escorted the march through the city.
A ten-year-old girl on the march was hit by a plastic bottle as missiles were hurled from the side of the road.
Police later issued an appeal to try to find protesters involved in alleged violence, but in November said there was not enough evidence to prosecute anyone.
The operation to police that event, on the weekend of the Queen’s Jubilee in June, was estimated to cost £340,000.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- 'My £40k Jaguar was stolen and police told me to investigate crime myself'
- UPDATED: Six vehicles involved in crash on A23 northbound
- Michelin chef is to open his new Brighton restaurants for lunch
- Ethical foodie venture opens for business
- Woman, 81, in hospital after being knocked down by white Citroen DS3