Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Met Office predicts floods across Sussex
Wet and windy weather is to lash Sussex, just as the county recovers from the snow.
Gale force winds and up to two inches of rain will fall on Friday, February 1. prompting the Met Office to issue a severe weather warning for the area.
It comes less than week after the big freeze caused travel chaos and it is likely transport will again be affected.
Two Sussex rivers – the Rother and the Cuckmere – were already on flood alert yesterday (January 29) as the melted ice and snow from last week left the ground saturated and rivers close to capacity.
The Met Office has said localised flooding is to be expected, with the whole county likely to see 3cm of rain and hilly areas facing a possible 5cm.
Gale force winds
The rain will be accompanied by gale force winds which will be even more severe on hills and exposed coastline.
Alison Baptiste, the Environment Agency’s flood and coastal risk manager, said: “With rain expected across the south east for the remainder of the week, we are urging residents to check their flood risk and be prepared for any possible flooding.
“Our teams have been out in force shoring up flood defences, monitoring river levels and clearing blockages from watercourses and they will continue their work on the ground to reduce the risk of flooding throughout the week.
“We will continue to keep a close watch on the situation.”
Some parts of the county saw flooding yesterday after heavy rain overnight.
The A29 was partly blocked both ways between Shripney Lane and Ivy Lane, Bognor.
On the A26 south of Beddingham drivers reported vehicles aquaplaning on water running off the fields.
The latest wild weather comes as councils are trying to catch up on the chaos caused by the severe weather last week.
Brighton and Hove City Council said it was putting on extra vehicles and crews to collect waste outside homes after missing collections.
The council recommended double bagging waste to stop animals opening the sacks while they sit on the road awaiting collection.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Man killed in Hove street shooting named as Xhem Krasniqi
- Port alert launched as police hunt for gunman in fatal Hove triple shooting
- Update: Priest jailed for ten years after being convicted of abusing children
- Sun makes an appearance for Hove garden festival
- Crawley-based G4S investigated in security tag inquiry