Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Man taken to hospital following Worthing fire
A man was taken to hospital following a fire at a house in Worthing.
Fire crews were called to Wordsworth Road at around 9.50pm last night after receiving several 999 calls.
They arrived to find flames pouring from a first floor bedroom at the back of the building.
Two crews from Worthing and one from Lancing were needed to tackle the fire.
A man was found in the back garden suffering from severe smoke inhalation and was given oxygen at the scene before being taken to hospital.
The fire was believed to have started accidentally by a faulty oil filled electric radiator and caused extensive damage to the three storey property.
The only smoke alarm in the premises had been removed before the fire.
Watch Commander Darren Wickings said: “ Upon arrival, we were faced with a rapidly developing fire, spreading into the roof void.
“Crews worked in extremely hot conditions to limit the fire and prevent it spreading to neighbouring properties.
“Unfortunately the only smoke alarm had been removed, therefore the occupier didn't get an early warning of the fire.
“If it had happened in the early hours, the outcome could have been much worse.
“Please ensure you have working smoke alarms and test them regularly.”
Further advice is available through the West Sussex Fire and Rescue home fire safety check scheme on 0800 3286487.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Bin backlog 'like living in Victorian era'
- Teens sick of 'uncool' clothes design their own T-shirts - now A-list love them
- Two taken to hospital after wall collapses in Eastbourne
- Paedophile teacher told police he was looking at them for 'research'
- Jury ask for more evidence at Albion players sex trial