A shop owner is so frustrated about people confusing North Laine and The Lanes he has decided to educate the world.
Tim Price, who owns JuJu in Gloucester Road, said he was “driven nuts” by people saying his shop was in the Lanes.
It is, of course, in North Laine and so he has put a sign in his shop window explaining the difference.
Mr Price said: “It drives me nuts every time they say they are in The Lanes walking past my shop.
“I hear it constantly.
“I decided I had to get it out of my system.”
And having put up the sign so passers-by can see it, he said the response has been brilliant.
He added: “I have even had historians come in to say well done.
“So many people are reading the sign and saying it is brilliant and they did not know that.
“It has been an overwhelming response which I really did not expect.
“I am so glad I did it.”
The sign reads:
Did you know...
you are not in The Lanes.
You are not even in The North Lanes or The North Laines, You are in The North Laine.
It's singular because laine is, infact, an old word relating to what was once the north field hereabouts.
Nothing to do with lanes, see.
Oh, and by the way, there is no South Lanes,
it's simply The Lanes
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Wetherspoon plan first hotel in Sussex at its boozer in Brighton's West Street
- The last known pictures of murder victim Janet Muller are released by police
- Man sent to jail over teen prostitution bid using Facebook
- Rose Hill Tavern given lifeline as councillors vote against turning it into flats
- Proud to call Brighton our home - Poll shows 91% of Brightonians wouldn't choose to live anywhere else