A shop owner is so frustrated about people confusing North Laine and The Lanes he has decided to educate the world.
Tim Price, who owns JuJu in Gloucester Road, said he was “driven nuts” by people saying his shop was in the Lanes.
It is, of course, in North Laine and so he has put a sign in his shop window explaining the difference.
Mr Price said: “It drives me nuts every time they say they are in The Lanes walking past my shop.
“I hear it constantly.
“I decided I had to get it out of my system.”
And having put up the sign so passers-by can see it, he said the response has been brilliant.
He added: “I have even had historians come in to say well done.
“So many people are reading the sign and saying it is brilliant and they did not know that.
“It has been an overwhelming response which I really did not expect.
“I am so glad I did it.”
The sign reads:
Did you know...
you are not in The Lanes.
You are not even in The North Lanes or The North Laines, You are in The North Laine.
It's singular because laine is, infact, an old word relating to what was once the north field hereabouts.
Nothing to do with lanes, see.
Oh, and by the way, there is no South Lanes,
it's simply The Lanes
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- A bit of Bondi to Brighton? Plans revealed for new £3 million swimming and leisure hotspot
- Nationalist march in Brighton postponed as EDL switch attention to Oxford after sex abuse scandal
- Brighton woman was so drunk behind the wheel she swerved across the A27 at just 30mph
- One of Brighton's oldest shops could be torn down to make way for entrance to new shopping square
- Missing man's car is found at Beachy Head