Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Warning following spate of chimney fires in East Sussex
9:56am Monday 4th February 2013 in News
Homeowners are being reminded to regularly sweep their chimney following a number of fires over the weekend.
Crews attended one incident in Green Lane, Crowborough, on Saturday and another three on Sunday in Westdown Road, Seaford, Croxden Way, Eastbourne and Valley Road, Lewes.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service community safety manager Steve Wright said: “Chimneys are a common cause of fire in homes and can cause widespread damage.
“An open fire is an ideal way to keep warm this winter but without proper maintenance a chimney can become dangerous.
“In the last two years alone we have attended more than 420 incidents involving chimney fires.
"To keep yourself and your family safe from fire you should have your chimney swept regularly.
“If the worst should happen, a smoke alarm can give you the extra time you need to escape in a house fire. Make sure you test yours regularly."
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Hove murder: wanted man phones The Argus
- Shoreham Rugby Club holding charity barbecue and fun day
- Police investigate spate of car crime across Sussex
- Sussex Police get Chinese book of sayings as thank you gift
- Card-skimming device found attached to Ferring cash point