Video by Jonny Barton
The Chinese Year of the Snake was ushered in at Hove Town Hall.
Traditional fan dancers in costume celebrated “strength, goodness and fertility” at the event yesterday.
The ancient dragon dance is said to drive away bad luck and evil spirits before the Chinese New Year, which traditionally lasts 15 days.
There were exhibitions and displays on Chinese culture as well as food stalls and dragon- making classes.
Attendees included the First Secretary of the Chinese Embassy and Councillor Bill Randall, mayor of Brighton and Hove.
According to Chinese tradition, the Year of the Snake will be a year of good financial fortune.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- CCTV catches ‘scum’ snatching charity tin
- Gatwick chaos as IT glitch grounds planes
- Gay woman tells Tory: give me a clear answer
- PC ‘lied about grandma’s cash’
- Man stabbed in city centre street packed with clubbers