Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Dragon dances in new year in Hove
2:30pm Monday 4th February 2013 in News
Video by Jonny Barton
The Chinese Year of the Snake was ushered in at Hove Town Hall.
Traditional fan dancers in costume celebrated “strength, goodness and fertility” at the event yesterday.
The ancient dragon dance is said to drive away bad luck and evil spirits before the Chinese New Year, which traditionally lasts 15 days.
There were exhibitions and displays on Chinese culture as well as food stalls and dragon- making classes.
Attendees included the First Secretary of the Chinese Embassy and Councillor Bill Randall, mayor of Brighton and Hove.
According to Chinese tradition, the Year of the Snake will be a year of good financial fortune.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Ferry crossing closure could cost 500 jobs
- Rain of Biblical proportions forces Jesus to wear anorak
- Parking restrictions will 'damage trade'
- Protesters rally against plan for 100 new homes
- Man given emergency first aid after fire in pub
Comments are closed on this article.