A fire in a squat that led to a man dying could have been caused by huge piles of books catching light.
Darren Akerman, 40, died following the blaze in St George’s Terrace in Kemp Town on November 28.
The property had been occupied by squatters but they had been evicted several days before the incident.
The Argus understands that Mr Akerman was alone in the building when the fire broke out and that the investigation is focusing on whether piles of books that surrounded him could have caused the blaze to take hold.
An inquest will be held into his death on February 27 in Brighton.
A police spokesman said: “A 48-year old man arrested on suspicion of arson has been stood down from his bail.
“We are satisfied that the death was not suspicious and there was no third party involvement.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Controversial landowner sells ancient woodland
- New degree course for aspiring young actors
- Man, 75, heads for the world’s highest hotel
- Wind farm to bring beach improvements
- Surprise as waste firm leaves £120m council contract 4 years early