A fire in a squat that led to a man dying could have been caused by huge piles of books catching light.
Darren Akerman, 40, died following the blaze in St George’s Terrace in Kemp Town on November 28.
The property had been occupied by squatters but they had been evicted several days before the incident.
The Argus understands that Mr Akerman was alone in the building when the fire broke out and that the investigation is focusing on whether piles of books that surrounded him could have caused the blaze to take hold.
An inquest will be held into his death on February 27 in Brighton.
A police spokesman said: “A 48-year old man arrested on suspicion of arson has been stood down from his bail.
“We are satisfied that the death was not suspicious and there was no third party involvement.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- LATEST: Mother of murdered Lauren Masters' heart felt promise to Tyler and Oscar
- Mother disowns woman who was feared missing in Tunisia
- Student houses forced to close after landlords lose appeals
- UPDATE AND VIDEO: London Bridge railway services suspended following fire
- GPs raise fears on homeless deaths