Poisoning fears after dog’s death on popular Sussex nature reserve

First published in News

A dog is feared to have died after eating rat poison left in a local nature reserve.

The dog, believed to be called Willow, died recently after walking along the Cuckoo Trail which runs from Heathfield to Eastbourne Park.

Now PC Kate Brookman has asked people be cautious.

She said: “We have recently been contacted by a large number of residents concerned about the poisoning of dogs on the Cuckoo Trail in Heathfield and the surrounding area.

“We have checked with all vets in Hailsham and Heathfield and none has reported a confirmed poisoning to us.

“I have had a couple of messages, from a Hailsham resident whose dog, very sadly, died recently.

“The comment the vet made to her was that poisoning was one of the possibilities as to why her dog had died.

“Unfortunately, rats do go on the Cuckoo Trail and if local residents use poison to kill them it could be dangerous for dogs.”

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree