A dog is feared to have died after eating rat poison left in a local nature reserve.
The dog, believed to be called Willow, died recently after walking along the Cuckoo Trail which runs from Heathfield to Eastbourne Park.
Now PC Kate Brookman has asked people be cautious.
She said: “We have recently been contacted by a large number of residents concerned about the poisoning of dogs on the Cuckoo Trail in Heathfield and the surrounding area.
“We have checked with all vets in Hailsham and Heathfield and none has reported a confirmed poisoning to us.
“I have had a couple of messages, from a Hailsham resident whose dog, very sadly, died recently.
“The comment the vet made to her was that poisoning was one of the possibilities as to why her dog had died.
“Unfortunately, rats do go on the Cuckoo Trail and if local residents use poison to kill them it could be dangerous for dogs.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Councillor, 73, arrested and quizzed after wife, 47, stabbed
- Families fear Portslade playground has been 'forgotten’ by Brighton and Hove City Councillors
- Katie Price says there are "just too many roadworks" in Brighton
- Nine shipping containers to house businesses
- First it was ray-repelling paint, now a doctor says a sleeping net over your bed will help avoid the dangers of wifi