Two teenagers have been found guilty of punching and kicking a man to death in a violent street attack outside a convenience store.
Shane Noble, 19, of no fixed address, and 15-year-old Joe Champman, formerly of Iden Street, Eastbourne, were found guilty yesterday (February 6) of the murder of Chris Poole at Lewes Crown Court.
Following the verdict, members of Mr Poole’s family said they will never be free of their pain and suffering.
Mr Poole was punched and kicked violently in the head outside the Premier shop in The Hydneye, Eastbourne, by two teenagers who had both trained as boxers.
The 46-year-old former pound shop manager had walked just a few hundred yards from his partner’s house with his two dogs when an argument broke out with teens outside the store.
He was knocked unconscious in the savage attack and died in hospital a day later.
In court during the three week trial, the teenagers’ claims of self-defence fell apart as the jury took less than 24 hours to find the pair guilty.
Chapman conceded that original claims that Mr Poole had rushed up behind him were not factually true but just “a turn of phrase”.
Consultation Sussex Police announced yesterday they will be holding a consultation event in Hampden Park in the near future with Eastbourne Borough Council to discuss community safety.
Murder victim Chris Poole
Shop owner Bayram Suhindal claimed the attack could have been prevented if CCTV cameras had been installed looking over the square and a recent petition for CCTV attracted hundreds of signatures.
In a statement released following the verdict, Mr Poole’s family said: “They showed no remorse for their action and all who were there on that fateful night will live with this on their conscience forever.
“In time to come they will be free again and maybe they would have learnt their lesson but we, the family, will never be free of our pain and suffering.
“Christopher’s life was taken from us by two ruthless people and all those who knew him are united in the grief we feel at the loss of a wonderful son, brother and friend.”
Detective Chief Inspector Nick May described the attack as “horrific” and thanked the community for their help with the investigation.
He added: “The attack can only be described as a senseless act of violence.
“Our thoughts are very much with Mr Poole’s family who have sat through the trial with great dignity, hearing very distressing evidence about what happened that night.
“I hope the verdict brings them some comfort.”
The pair has now been remanded for sentencing on March 15.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- 19-year-old in custody over McDonald's stabbing
- Student attack victim was failed by university
- Teenager scared in unprovoked attack by two men in Brighton
- Woman ‘got girl drunk and made her have sex’
- Police report "sink hole" in town road