A fashion brand is the latest victim of turmoil in the high street.
Republic has called in administrators Ernest & Young.
The chain has stores in Churchill Square, Brighton, and The Martlets in Crawley. Most of its stores are in the north of England, which has been hit hard by the recession KPMG was initially brought in to advise the company on shedding some of its stores. Andy Bond, the former chief executive of Asda, has stepped down as chairman.
The news comes in the wake of the failure of Jessops, HMV and Blockbuster.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Murderer who gunned down man in street after fleeing jail is on the run
- Cyclist seriously injured in Coast Road fall
- Motorbike passenger seriously injured in crash
- 238 homes planned for former public school site
- Single vehicle crash closes lane on A23