A fashion brand is the latest victim of turmoil in the high street.
Republic has called in administrators Ernest & Young.
The chain has stores in Churchill Square, Brighton, and The Martlets in Crawley. Most of its stores are in the north of England, which has been hit hard by the recession KPMG was initially brought in to advise the company on shedding some of its stores. Andy Bond, the former chief executive of Asda, has stepped down as chairman.
The news comes in the wake of the failure of Jessops, HMV and Blockbuster.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Live blog: Brighton and Hove City Council budget 2017/18
- Storm Doris: Live updates as 70mph winds are expected in Sussex
- Cyclist, 68, dies after being found with serious head injuries
- Exclusion zone put in place after 'bomb' found near leisure centre
- UPDATED: Lady Colin Campbell found guilty over three-car pile-up