The RSPCA has said it does not have enough evidence to prosecute Brighton and Hove City Council over fish deaths.
The council killed about 40 fish in the rockery pond at Preston Park while cleaning and repairing it in January.
Now the RSPCA has admitted it cannot do anything. It said: “The RSPCA was called by a concerned member of the public who had seen dead fish floating in the skips.
“We contacted the council and told them that they were not providing a suitable environment for the fish and arrangements were made to move the remaining fish to a nearby facility with ponds.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Firefighters tackle blaze at Brighton seafront hotel
- Do you recognise this woman trying to buy £2500 in Euros using a fake bank card?
- A24 blocked after lamp post falls across dual carriageway
- Police in riot gear on the scene after man spotted with "weapon" outside his home
- Two women trapped in cars after crash on B2133 - road completely blocked