Pro-lifers pray outside Brighton clinic

Anti-abortionists are to pray outside a clinic for the next six weeks.

40 Days of Life is being billed as “the largest and longest coordinated pro-life mobilisation in history”.

As part of the international campaign, a group of pro-lifers will hold vigils from 8am to 8pm outside Wiston clinic in Dyke Road, Brighton.

It will run from today until March 24, the last day of Lent.

Those taking part last year received criticism for “intimidating” women visiting the clinic.

However, co-ordinator Caroline Hubert said all those taking part had to sign a statement of peace, adding the intention was to pray for those involved.

 

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:33pm Wed 13 Feb 13

JamPal32 says...

Pro-lifers often extreme right wing "Christians" that support the death sentence and take an anti scientific view of life. Should we listen to their uninformed unpinions?
Pro-lifers often extreme right wing "Christians" that support the death sentence and take an anti scientific view of life. Should we listen to their uninformed unpinions? JamPal32

12:36pm Wed 13 Feb 13

Crystal Ball says...

Yes, praying will make all the difference for the subject you are protesting about and to those involved.
Yes, praying will make all the difference for the subject you are protesting about and to those involved. Crystal Ball

12:47pm Wed 13 Feb 13

mimseycal says...

These hypocrites make me sick to the stomach. Still going for the soft option and targeting the women at one of the most vulnerable times.
These hypocrites make me sick to the stomach. Still going for the soft option and targeting the women at one of the most vulnerable times. mimseycal

12:47pm Wed 13 Feb 13

Cave Johnson says...

Can't they just pray at home and get out of peoples faces?
Can't they just pray at home and get out of peoples faces? Cave Johnson

1:52pm Wed 13 Feb 13

toldsloth says...

Disgusting. Caroline Hubert and her cronies should be ashamed of themselves putting pressure on already distressed women, If I had my way I'd lock them up for 40 days.......
Disgusting. Caroline Hubert and her cronies should be ashamed of themselves putting pressure on already distressed women, If I had my way I'd lock them up for 40 days....... toldsloth

2:02pm Wed 13 Feb 13

Fight_Back says...

Of course it's intimidation !!!!

If they want to pray then they should go to a church.
Of course it's intimidation !!!! If they want to pray then they should go to a church. Fight_Back

2:24pm Wed 13 Feb 13

sound_man says...

I don't think it is right for The Argus to have a link for the web site. To me, and I am sure others will agree, that it appears biased. The story is one sided too.
Children need love and care. And if the women don't feel ready, then they should have the choice and not face a protest group at what is a distressing situation.
I don't think it is right for The Argus to have a link for the web site. To me, and I am sure others will agree, that it appears biased. The story is one sided too. Children need love and care. And if the women don't feel ready, then they should have the choice and not face a protest group at what is a distressing situation. sound_man

2:29pm Wed 13 Feb 13

mhaiti says...

Agree that this is a one sided story.

Perhaps publish a comment from a pro choice group or provide a contact number for anyone that feels harrassed by these insensitive fools.
Agree that this is a one sided story. Perhaps publish a comment from a pro choice group or provide a contact number for anyone that feels harrassed by these insensitive fools. mhaiti

4:00pm Wed 13 Feb 13

Fercri Sakes says...

Could these American-style fundamentalists raise money for maternity units, adoption services, childrens homes and fostering organisations instead of scaring vulnerable women?

They care about fetuses but don't give two hoots once the baby is born. Weirdos, the lot of them. Go and do something constructive.
Could these American-style fundamentalists raise money for maternity units, adoption services, childrens homes and fostering organisations instead of scaring vulnerable women? They care about fetuses but don't give two hoots once the baby is born. Weirdos, the lot of them. Go and do something constructive. Fercri Sakes

4:11pm Wed 13 Feb 13

mimseycal says...

They don't care about anything but their own perverse view of right and wrong.
They don't care about anything but their own perverse view of right and wrong. mimseycal

4:52pm Wed 13 Feb 13

a person says...

They say on web site .

“”We are praying that, with God's help, this groundbreaking effort will mark the beginning of the end of abortion in our city -- and throughout England.””
Have they thought that if its all to do with god , then god wants them pregnant in the first place ?

If they really want to help human beings maybe they could help the homeless that are alive now and in need of help.
Like the rough sleeper that was beaten to death and left hidden under a blanket next to a seafront pitch and putt course.
Now that would be pro life.
They say on web site . “”We are praying that, with God's help, this groundbreaking effort will mark the beginning of the end of abortion in our city -- and throughout England.”” Have they thought that if its all to do with god , then god wants them pregnant in the first place ? If they really want to help human beings maybe they could help the homeless that are alive now and in need of help. Like the rough sleeper that was beaten to death and left hidden under a blanket next to a seafront pitch and putt course. Now that would be pro life. a person

5:04pm Wed 13 Feb 13

mimseycal says...

a person wrote:
They say on web site .

“”We are praying that, with God's help, this groundbreaking effort will mark the beginning of the end of abortion in our city -- and throughout England.””
Have they thought that if its all to do with god , then god wants them pregnant in the first place ?

If they really want to help human beings maybe they could help the homeless that are alive now and in need of help.
Like the rough sleeper that was beaten to death and left hidden under a blanket next to a seafront pitch and putt course.
Now that would be pro life.
Nah ... that would mean having to actually do something rather then stand around looking all sanctimonious and harrass women at a very stressful point in their lives.
[quote][p][bold]a person[/bold] wrote: They say on web site . “”We are praying that, with God's help, this groundbreaking effort will mark the beginning of the end of abortion in our city -- and throughout England.”” Have they thought that if its all to do with god , then god wants them pregnant in the first place ? If they really want to help human beings maybe they could help the homeless that are alive now and in need of help. Like the rough sleeper that was beaten to death and left hidden under a blanket next to a seafront pitch and putt course. Now that would be pro life.[/p][/quote]Nah ... that would mean having to actually do something rather then stand around looking all sanctimonious and harrass women at a very stressful point in their lives. mimseycal

5:13pm Wed 13 Feb 13

Rotters says...

With the quite amazing revelation that the Pope has a pacemaker, doesn't this further undermine these loonies arguments. Either you're totally in awe of God and should accept no medical or scientific support or your not. The religious always want it both ways. ;)
With the quite amazing revelation that the Pope has a pacemaker, doesn't this further undermine these loonies arguments. Either you're totally in awe of God and should accept no medical or scientific support or your not. The religious always want it both ways. ;) Rotters

5:17pm Wed 13 Feb 13

mimseycal says...

Rotters wrote:
With the quite amazing revelation that the Pope has a pacemaker, doesn't this further undermine these loonies arguments. Either you're totally in awe of God and should accept no medical or scientific support or your not. The religious always want it both ways. ;)
"The religious always want it both ways. ;)"
In that respect no different from many others. No problem with them wanting it both ways ... just object to them sermonising and certainly harrassing women in a vulnerable state.
[quote][p][bold]Rotters[/bold] wrote: With the quite amazing revelation that the Pope has a pacemaker, doesn't this further undermine these loonies arguments. Either you're totally in awe of God and should accept no medical or scientific support or your not. The religious always want it both ways. ;)[/p][/quote]"The religious always want it both ways. ;)" In that respect no different from many others. No problem with them wanting it both ways ... just object to them sermonising and certainly harrassing women in a vulnerable state. mimseycal

5:59pm Wed 13 Feb 13

Surely not! says...

mimseycal wrote:
Rotters wrote:
With the quite amazing revelation that the Pope has a pacemaker, doesn't this further undermine these loonies arguments. Either you're totally in awe of God and should accept no medical or scientific support or your not. The religious always want it both ways. ;)
"The religious always want it both ways. ;)"
In that respect no different from many others. No problem with them wanting it both ways ... just object to them sermonising and certainly harrassing women in a vulnerable state.
The evidence is that Catholic priests are are quite partial to having it both ways, with 'protection' from their church.
[quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rotters[/bold] wrote: With the quite amazing revelation that the Pope has a pacemaker, doesn't this further undermine these loonies arguments. Either you're totally in awe of God and should accept no medical or scientific support or your not. The religious always want it both ways. ;)[/p][/quote]"The religious always want it both ways. ;)" In that respect no different from many others. No problem with them wanting it both ways ... just object to them sermonising and certainly harrassing women in a vulnerable state.[/p][/quote]The evidence is that Catholic priests are are quite partial to having it both ways, with 'protection' from their church. Surely not!

6:17pm Wed 13 Feb 13

BornInBrighton1968 says...

toldsloth wrote:
Disgusting. Caroline Hubert and her cronies should be ashamed of themselves putting pressure on already distressed women, If I had my way I'd lock them up for 40 days.......
Yes, yes, quite so
[quote][p][bold]toldsloth[/bold] wrote: Disgusting. Caroline Hubert and her cronies should be ashamed of themselves putting pressure on already distressed women, If I had my way I'd lock them up for 40 days.......[/p][/quote]Yes, yes, quite so BornInBrighton1968

6:31pm Wed 13 Feb 13

mimseycal says...

Surely not! wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
Rotters wrote:
With the quite amazing revelation that the Pope has a pacemaker, doesn't this further undermine these loonies arguments. Either you're totally in awe of God and should accept no medical or scientific support or your not. The religious always want it both ways. ;)
"The religious always want it both ways. ;)"
In that respect no different from many others. No problem with them wanting it both ways ... just object to them sermonising and certainly harrassing women in a vulnerable state.
The evidence is that Catholic priests are are quite partial to having it both ways, with 'protection' from their church.
Again, it isn't the wanting it both ways that offends me so much ... they aren't the only group that want it both ways.
[quote][p][bold]Surely not![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rotters[/bold] wrote: With the quite amazing revelation that the Pope has a pacemaker, doesn't this further undermine these loonies arguments. Either you're totally in awe of God and should accept no medical or scientific support or your not. The religious always want it both ways. ;)[/p][/quote]"The religious always want it both ways. ;)" In that respect no different from many others. No problem with them wanting it both ways ... just object to them sermonising and certainly harrassing women in a vulnerable state.[/p][/quote]The evidence is that Catholic priests are are quite partial to having it both ways, with 'protection' from their church.[/p][/quote]Again, it isn't the wanting it both ways that offends me so much ... they aren't the only group that want it both ways. mimseycal

9:02pm Wed 13 Feb 13

Maxwell's Ghost says...

Perhaps it should be prey not pray.
The devil finds work for idle hands.
They should go and do some useful practical work such as helping young single mums instead or berating those trying to do the best.
I find it interesting that women hate other women so much.
Perhaps it should be prey not pray. The devil finds work for idle hands. They should go and do some useful practical work such as helping young single mums instead or berating those trying to do the best. I find it interesting that women hate other women so much. Maxwell's Ghost

9:25pm Wed 13 Feb 13

mimseycal says...

Oh you get a few so called 'God-fearing' men there as well. Least ways, last year you did.

And they don't call it hate, they reckon it is love that makes them undertake this abominable stance.
Oh you get a few so called 'God-fearing' men there as well. Least ways, last year you did. And they don't call it hate, they reckon it is love that makes them undertake this abominable stance. mimseycal

8:24am Thu 14 Feb 13

voiceofthescoombe says...

They could actually do something useful,but no standing outside an abortion clinic attempting to bully women is about there limit.
probably get funding from insane americans much like the ira go home yank.
They could actually do something useful,but no standing outside an abortion clinic attempting to bully women is about there limit. probably get funding from insane americans much like the ira go home yank. voiceofthescoombe

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree