A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a woman was stabbed to death in a street attack in Brighton last night.
The 24-year-old woman from Peacehaven was taken to hospital with serious injuries following the fight in Queen's Square, Brighton, at about 8.45pm yesterday (Sunday, February 17).
She later died from her injuries.
A 25-year-old man, who police say knew the victim and is also from Peacehaven, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder.
He was taken to hospital for stab wounds to his body that are not thought to be life-threatening and is currently receiving treatment.
The man is under police guard.
Detective Inspector Wendy Burton of Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team said: "The victim and arrested man are known to each and was not a random attack.
"It took place in the street in Queen's Square and was witnessed by passing members of the public and local residents.
"We are keen to speak to anyone who was in the area at the time of the incident so we can build a picture of what has taken place.
"Our thoughts are with the family of the victim as we investigate this incident."
Police are appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident or anyone with information to contact Sussex Police on 101 quoting serial Operation Westfield or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
* Did you know the woman involved? Call The Argus on 01273 544519, email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave your tributes below.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Public warned not to approach convicted murderer on the run
- Video: Mother speaks of daughter's killing by dad
- Man stabbed in the back in mid-morning brawl in Hove
- UPDATE: Major disruption on Brighton Mainline following signalling problems at Haywards Heath
- Carer 'stole £30,000' from elderly woman in her care