Greater Brighton moves a step closer

First published in News
Last updated
by

A bid by ‘Greater Brighton’ to boost business and create thousands of jobs has been given Government backing.

The coastal area around Brighton and Hove, from Goring to Cuckmere Haven, was identified as one of only 20 in the country as ripe for City Deal status.

Ministers billed the idea as a way of devolving powers so local leaders can “shape their future” and kick-start regional economies.

This evening (February 18) Deputy Prime Minster Nick Clegg announced that Brighton and Hove had moved through to the next stage of the bid.

City leaders, who welcomed the decision, will now enter into negotiations with Whitehall to thrash out the exact powers.

Jason Kitcat, Brighton and Hove City Council’s leader, said: “This is a major step forward, giving us the opportunity to make a big difference to the city and the region.”

All 20 cities which submitted a bid for the second City Deal stage will be invited to negotiate a final deal with ministers. Talks should be completed by the end of the year.

The Greater Brighton region includes the area covered by Brighton and Hove, Worthing, Adur and Lewes councils.

The local authorities joined with the city’s two universities, business leaders and key companies, such as E.ON, American Express, Ricardo, and EDF, to draw up a plan.

It is focused on boosting “eco tech” industries. The proposals include reviving stalled redevelopment sites such as Newhaven Port, Preston Barracks and Shoreham Harbour.

Bosses also want to have flexibility to set local tax rates and remove red tape to help smaller and medium-sized businesses.

Mr Clegg said: “A city deal will be a big boost for Brighton and Hove.”

Lewes District Council leader James Page said: “This is good news for the region and great news for Lewes.”

Adur leader Neil Parkin and Worthing leader Paul Yallop jointly said in a statement: “We are delighted that our ‘partnership’ ethos is bearing fruit for the people again.”

Hove MP Mike Weatherley said it was “excellent news”.

He added: “I am really pleased that ministers have recognised the strength of the Brighton and Hove area bid, and that we are through to the next stage.

“Despite the tough competition, I am confident that the unique characteristics of our area will shine through in the end.”

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:04pm Mon 18 Feb 13

george smith says...

any hope that this is the end of brighton as a unitary authority?
any hope that this is the end of brighton as a unitary authority? george smith
  • Score: 0

10:12pm Mon 18 Feb 13

makoshark says...

A potentially 'sweet' deal but hopefully not of the 'kitkat' variety!
A potentially 'sweet' deal but hopefully not of the 'kitkat' variety! makoshark
  • Score: 0

10:16pm Mon 18 Feb 13

mimseycal says...

george smith wrote:
any hope that this is the end of brighton as a unitary authority?
Hope springs eternal but I won't be holding my breath ... Blue isn't a skin tone I look well in.
[quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: any hope that this is the end of brighton as a unitary authority?[/p][/quote]Hope springs eternal but I won't be holding my breath ... Blue isn't a skin tone I look well in. mimseycal
  • Score: 0

8:32am Tue 19 Feb 13

Morpheus says...

What rubbish. Where will the jobs suddenly come from because of this?
What rubbish. Where will the jobs suddenly come from because of this? Morpheus
  • Score: 0

8:32am Tue 19 Feb 13

Crystal Ball says...

It seems all BHCC can manage is attempt to rename numerous places, facilities (Rottingdean WCs) and services with the residents' money.

Why not use that money to improve the services and facilities instead because a name alone won't do that. Ridiculous.
It seems all BHCC can manage is attempt to rename numerous places, facilities (Rottingdean WCs) and services with the residents' money. Why not use that money to improve the services and facilities instead because a name alone won't do that. Ridiculous. Crystal Ball
  • Score: 0

9:33am Tue 19 Feb 13

inadaptado says...

Crystal Ball wrote:
It seems all BHCC can manage is attempt to rename numerous places, facilities (Rottingdean WCs) and services with the residents' money.

Why not use that money to improve the services and facilities instead because a name alone won't do that. Ridiculous.
It seems all you can manage is attempt to reuse an anecdote (Rottingdean WCs) to criticize the council, which is your only goal, even though I could bet a week's salary you are not worse off with them than you were before.

If you had bothered reading the text you would've found out It's not just BHCC behind this, but all the councils of the area as well as big companies. And if we achieved city status we could set our own taxes and cut the red tape, which would bring back business and jobs to the area.
[quote][p][bold]Crystal Ball[/bold] wrote: It seems all BHCC can manage is attempt to rename numerous places, facilities (Rottingdean WCs) and services with the residents' money. Why not use that money to improve the services and facilities instead because a name alone won't do that. Ridiculous.[/p][/quote]It seems all you can manage is attempt to reuse an anecdote (Rottingdean WCs) to criticize the council, which is your only goal, even though I could bet a week's salary you are not worse off with them than you were before. If you had bothered reading the text you would've found out It's not just BHCC behind this, but all the councils of the area as well as big companies. And if we achieved city status we could set our own taxes and cut the red tape, which would bring back business and jobs to the area. inadaptado
  • Score: 0

10:35am Tue 19 Feb 13

fredflintstone1 says...

inadaptado wrote:
Crystal Ball wrote:
It seems all BHCC can manage is attempt to rename numerous places, facilities (Rottingdean WCs) and services with the residents' money.

Why not use that money to improve the services and facilities instead because a name alone won't do that. Ridiculous.
It seems all you can manage is attempt to reuse an anecdote (Rottingdean WCs) to criticize the council, which is your only goal, even though I could bet a week's salary you are not worse off with them than you were before.

If you had bothered reading the text you would've found out It's not just BHCC behind this, but all the councils of the area as well as big companies. And if we achieved city status we could set our own taxes and cut the red tape, which would bring back business and jobs to the area.
Which planet do you live on? I look forward to spending your week's salary. Are you one of the greens' spin doctors, by any chance?

Fact: Everyone driving through the city will be financially worse off, with the delays and 20mph limit.

Fact: Business is suffering badly in the city because of the Greens' anti-car policy. Shops are closing, reducing people's choices.

Fact: The environment is being trashed. Look at the way the Greens are intent on fencing off access to public land for sheep farming across the city, and clearing woodland at Wild Park.

So all I can presume is that you don't drive, shop or enjoy walking in our parks.
[quote][p][bold]inadaptado[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Crystal Ball[/bold] wrote: It seems all BHCC can manage is attempt to rename numerous places, facilities (Rottingdean WCs) and services with the residents' money. Why not use that money to improve the services and facilities instead because a name alone won't do that. Ridiculous.[/p][/quote]It seems all you can manage is attempt to reuse an anecdote (Rottingdean WCs) to criticize the council, which is your only goal, even though I could bet a week's salary you are not worse off with them than you were before. If you had bothered reading the text you would've found out It's not just BHCC behind this, but all the councils of the area as well as big companies. And if we achieved city status we could set our own taxes and cut the red tape, which would bring back business and jobs to the area.[/p][/quote]Which planet do you live on? I look forward to spending your week's salary. Are you one of the greens' spin doctors, by any chance? Fact: Everyone driving through the city will be financially worse off, with the delays and 20mph limit. Fact: Business is suffering badly in the city because of the Greens' anti-car policy. Shops are closing, reducing people's choices. Fact: The environment is being trashed. Look at the way the Greens are intent on fencing off access to public land for sheep farming across the city, and clearing woodland at Wild Park. So all I can presume is that you don't drive, shop or enjoy walking in our parks. fredflintstone1
  • Score: 0

11:34am Tue 19 Feb 13

mmmm cakes says...

fredflintstone1 wrote:
inadaptado wrote:
Crystal Ball wrote:
It seems all BHCC can manage is attempt to rename numerous places, facilities (Rottingdean WCs) and services with the residents' money.

Why not use that money to improve the services and facilities instead because a name alone won't do that. Ridiculous.
It seems all you can manage is attempt to reuse an anecdote (Rottingdean WCs) to criticize the council, which is your only goal, even though I could bet a week's salary you are not worse off with them than you were before.

If you had bothered reading the text you would've found out It's not just BHCC behind this, but all the councils of the area as well as big companies. And if we achieved city status we could set our own taxes and cut the red tape, which would bring back business and jobs to the area.
Which planet do you live on? I look forward to spending your week's salary. Are you one of the greens' spin doctors, by any chance?

Fact: Everyone driving through the city will be financially worse off, with the delays and 20mph limit.

Fact: Business is suffering badly in the city because of the Greens' anti-car policy. Shops are closing, reducing people's choices.

Fact: The environment is being trashed. Look at the way the Greens are intent on fencing off access to public land for sheep farming across the city, and clearing woodland at Wild Park.

So all I can presume is that you don't drive, shop or enjoy walking in our parks.
right

Firstly just because you say FACT, does not make something true! Where are you statistics to justify your points....?

Im sure that shops are shutting a people have less disposable income but I very much dbout a 20MPH speed limit has anything to do with it more like stagnating wages and increasing prices


FACT - sorry I couldn't resist ;)
[quote][p][bold]fredflintstone1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inadaptado[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Crystal Ball[/bold] wrote: It seems all BHCC can manage is attempt to rename numerous places, facilities (Rottingdean WCs) and services with the residents' money. Why not use that money to improve the services and facilities instead because a name alone won't do that. Ridiculous.[/p][/quote]It seems all you can manage is attempt to reuse an anecdote (Rottingdean WCs) to criticize the council, which is your only goal, even though I could bet a week's salary you are not worse off with them than you were before. If you had bothered reading the text you would've found out It's not just BHCC behind this, but all the councils of the area as well as big companies. And if we achieved city status we could set our own taxes and cut the red tape, which would bring back business and jobs to the area.[/p][/quote]Which planet do you live on? I look forward to spending your week's salary. Are you one of the greens' spin doctors, by any chance? Fact: Everyone driving through the city will be financially worse off, with the delays and 20mph limit. Fact: Business is suffering badly in the city because of the Greens' anti-car policy. Shops are closing, reducing people's choices. Fact: The environment is being trashed. Look at the way the Greens are intent on fencing off access to public land for sheep farming across the city, and clearing woodland at Wild Park. So all I can presume is that you don't drive, shop or enjoy walking in our parks.[/p][/quote]right Firstly just because you say FACT, does not make something true! Where are you statistics to justify your points....? Im sure that shops are shutting a people have less disposable income but I very much dbout a 20MPH speed limit has anything to do with it more like stagnating wages and increasing prices FACT - sorry I couldn't resist ;) mmmm cakes
  • Score: 0

5:24pm Tue 19 Feb 13

fredflintstone1 says...

mmmm cakes wrote:
fredflintstone1 wrote:
inadaptado wrote:
Crystal Ball wrote:
It seems all BHCC can manage is attempt to rename numerous places, facilities (Rottingdean WCs) and services with the residents' money.

Why not use that money to improve the services and facilities instead because a name alone won't do that. Ridiculous.
It seems all you can manage is attempt to reuse an anecdote (Rottingdean WCs) to criticize the council, which is your only goal, even though I could bet a week's salary you are not worse off with them than you were before.

If you had bothered reading the text you would've found out It's not just BHCC behind this, but all the councils of the area as well as big companies. And if we achieved city status we could set our own taxes and cut the red tape, which would bring back business and jobs to the area.
Which planet do you live on? I look forward to spending your week's salary. Are you one of the greens' spin doctors, by any chance?

Fact: Everyone driving through the city will be financially worse off, with the delays and 20mph limit.

Fact: Business is suffering badly in the city because of the Greens' anti-car policy. Shops are closing, reducing people's choices.

Fact: The environment is being trashed. Look at the way the Greens are intent on fencing off access to public land for sheep farming across the city, and clearing woodland at Wild Park.

So all I can presume is that you don't drive, shop or enjoy walking in our parks.
right

Firstly just because you say FACT, does not make something true! Where are you statistics to justify your points....?

Im sure that shops are shutting a people have less disposable income but I very much dbout a 20MPH speed limit has anything to do with it more like stagnating wages and increasing prices


FACT - sorry I couldn't resist ;)
There's plenty of evidence to support these facts. Just look at how the Council's parking revenue has fallen, as prices have risen. Fewer peple visiting the town = less money coming into the shops. Plus people running businesses such as the Sea Life Centre will tell you the same thing.

It costs more to drive at 20mph, as again is well-documented, plus you can you can simply use your eyes and see the fencing going up around the city, most recently on Tenantry Down, and the scars on the landscape at Wild Park.

So QED then?
[quote][p][bold]mmmm cakes[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]fredflintstone1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inadaptado[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Crystal Ball[/bold] wrote: It seems all BHCC can manage is attempt to rename numerous places, facilities (Rottingdean WCs) and services with the residents' money. Why not use that money to improve the services and facilities instead because a name alone won't do that. Ridiculous.[/p][/quote]It seems all you can manage is attempt to reuse an anecdote (Rottingdean WCs) to criticize the council, which is your only goal, even though I could bet a week's salary you are not worse off with them than you were before. If you had bothered reading the text you would've found out It's not just BHCC behind this, but all the councils of the area as well as big companies. And if we achieved city status we could set our own taxes and cut the red tape, which would bring back business and jobs to the area.[/p][/quote]Which planet do you live on? I look forward to spending your week's salary. Are you one of the greens' spin doctors, by any chance? Fact: Everyone driving through the city will be financially worse off, with the delays and 20mph limit. Fact: Business is suffering badly in the city because of the Greens' anti-car policy. Shops are closing, reducing people's choices. Fact: The environment is being trashed. Look at the way the Greens are intent on fencing off access to public land for sheep farming across the city, and clearing woodland at Wild Park. So all I can presume is that you don't drive, shop or enjoy walking in our parks.[/p][/quote]right Firstly just because you say FACT, does not make something true! Where are you statistics to justify your points....? Im sure that shops are shutting a people have less disposable income but I very much dbout a 20MPH speed limit has anything to do with it more like stagnating wages and increasing prices FACT - sorry I couldn't resist ;)[/p][/quote]There's plenty of evidence to support these facts. Just look at how the Council's parking revenue has fallen, as prices have risen. Fewer peple visiting the town = less money coming into the shops. Plus people running businesses such as the Sea Life Centre will tell you the same thing. It costs more to drive at 20mph, as again is well-documented, plus you can you can simply use your eyes and see the fencing going up around the city, most recently on Tenantry Down, and the scars on the landscape at Wild Park. So QED then? fredflintstone1
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree