The ArgusBattle of Hastings called off amid safety fears (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Battle of Hastings called off amid safety fears

The Argus: Re=enacting the Battle of Hastings Re=enacting the Battle of Hastings

IT  has been a key site in British history for almost 1,000 years.

Hundreds of people gather each October to recreate the fateful day in 1066 when King Harold’s forces were defeated by those of William the Conqueror, allowing the Norman to take the throne.

But now officials have banned this year’s Battle of Hastings re-enactment from going ahead eight months before it was due to start.

English Heritage said the ground at Battle was in such a bad condition that it would be unsafe to host the event there in mid-October.

Last year’s battle was abandoned halfway through after heavy rainfall, leaving chainmail-clad people disappointed.

English Heritage said that last year’s wet weather had affected the protected site so much that it would not be suitable.

A spokesman said: “On expert advice, it has been decided the area needs to be re-seeded and rested to enable it to fully recover and establish a more robust grass surface.

Saving field

“This action will help us to balance the best management of this iconic battlefield, given the potential impact changes in weather patterns are likely to have, with our underlying wish to continue staging events which so graphically illustrate this key event in our history.

“Although we appreciate that many people will be disappointed, we hope the events we are staging in other parts of the site this year will be enjoyed by thousands of abbey visitors and that by taking this action now, we will be able to safeguard large scale events in the future – with the aim to reinstate them from 2014.”

Councillor Kathryn Field, who represents Battle on Rother District Council, said: “The battlefield is still incredibly damaged from last year.

“This is for people’s safety.

“We regret it can’t go ahead on the battlefield but it is not permanent.”

English Heritage said that the re-enactment would be replaced with events in Battle Abbey, including theatre performances.

See the latest news headlines from The Argus:

More news from The Argus

Follow @brightonargus

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook

The Argus: Google+ Add us to your circles on Google+

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:16pm Thu 21 Feb 13

hubby says...

Imagine if health and safety was around in 1066.
"Make sure you have rubber tips on those arrows!"
Imagine if health and safety was around in 1066. "Make sure you have rubber tips on those arrows!" hubby
  • Score: 0

9:13am Fri 22 Feb 13

mimseycal says...

No heaving of long pointy things! Put that mace down! Before matters can proceed we need to see all those certificates showing that the clubs, bows and axes have passed their annual 'fit for purpose' test.

And if our inspectors find one clod overturned, you will have to go home and we can try again tomorrow!
No heaving of long pointy things! Put that mace down! Before matters can proceed we need to see all those certificates showing that the clubs, bows and axes have passed their annual 'fit for purpose' test. And if our inspectors find one clod overturned, you will have to go home and we can try again tomorrow! mimseycal
  • Score: 0

10:15am Fri 22 Feb 13

derekhunt says...

You two deserve each other
You two deserve each other derekhunt
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree