Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Groom arrested after bride attacked on wedding night
A bridegroom has been arrested on suspicion of attacking his bride on their wedding night.
Officers were called in the early hours of yesterday morning (February 24) after reports that a 34-year old woman had suffered facial injuries in the bedroom of a Brighton seafront property.
A 24-year old man, who police believe had married the woman just hours before, was arrested at the King’s Road property and later charged with common assault.
Police and domestic abuse charities have responded by renewing their calls for victims to report abuse.
Naomi Bos, from the domestic abuse charity RISE, urged those suffering at the hands of their partner to come forward.
She said: “Domestic abuse affects so many and we urge people not to suffer in silence.
“If you think you may be in an abusive relationship please call the RISE Helpline or the police.
“You are not alone, there is help and support available.”
Meanwhile, DS Mark Rosser, who was working the night shift at the time of the alleged incident, took to Twitter to renew the force’s message.
He said: “Uniformed staff have just arrested a male for domestic violence – they got married yesterday. No excuse for abuse. #talktome.”
Police and Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne, named domestic violence as one of her policing priorities when she started in the role in November.
Since then the force has launched a number of campaigns to highlight the issue including an abuse initiative aimed at teenagers called Talk To Me, I Can Help.
However, this month it was revealed that reports of domestic abuse over the festive period had increased by more than 50% on the previous year.
A staggering 982 calls were made between December 21 and January 2 – compared with just 643 in 2011 and 758 in 2010.
Of those calls, 219 were recorded as crimes.
Joyce Jenkin, a refuge worker at Worthing Women’s Aid, added that they had seen a big rise in women seeking help in the last year.
Ms Bos added: “It is important that anyone suffering this abuse gets in contact. If you are in danger call 999.
“You can also reach the RISE Helpline on 01273 622822.”
The 24-year-old, who was bailed by police, will appear at Brighton Magistrates Court on March 6.
How to get help
- In an emergency, call 999.
- RISE operates through Brighton and Hove and across West Sussex. Its Helpline number in 01273 622822.
- Worthing Women’s Aid on 01903 231939.
- People in Lewes, Eastbourne and Wealden can call the East Sussex Domestic Abuse Service on 01323 419 340, or in Hastings 01424 716629.
- Men affected by domestic abuse can call the Men’s Advice Helpline 0808 801 0327 or they can call the Anti-Victimisation Unit 01273 665 657.
- For LGBT people there is the Brighton & Hove LGBT Switchboard on 01273 204050.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Crews tackle chimney fire in Barcombe
- Arson probe after Brighton bench set on fire
- Brighton man rescued after setting his supper on fire
- Missing Crawley teen found "safe and unharmed"
- Newhaven and Bognor given millions of pounds to regenerate towns