Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Train compensation scheme "does not go far enough"
- Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver backs #MincePieMonday campaign to raise money for Brighton charity
- Revealed: The winners of The Argus Snowdog selfie competition
- Musician nominated for two top awards
- Warning over new transport body