Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Wanted man arrested by police when spotted driving through Brighton
- Murder detectives renew call for help in case of missing Mark Manning
- Brazen thief steals Argus charity box
- The ‘luxury’ future of our Brighton mainline
- Teenage girl killed in car crash; three others seriously injured