Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- More workers using their bicycles to get to the office after challenge
- Powerful addition to offshore wind farm
- Brave Second World War hero dies at age of 93
- Health expert to study Indian street dogs
- Every bus in the fleet fitted with free wi-fi to help passengers stay connected