Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Police precept increases but federation warns tough decisions will be made over which crimes will be investigated
- Fire crews respond to two house fire incidents within five miles and fifteen minutes of each other
- Neneh Cherry plays intimate gig in Brighton pub
- "Losing a leg is easier than marrying a Beatle" says Heather Mills
- Man who fell asleep while cooking his dinner is led to safety by firefighters