Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Police warn public about serial scammer conning good samaritans out of money
- Rail dissatisfaction at all-time high
- Lorry driver dies in collision
- Council tax to rise by 5 per cent as savings of £17m are identified
- Bomb scare arrest man is to remain in custody