Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- UPDATE: Motorist dies on A27 after 41-ton lorry overturns, crushing car
- BREAKING: Man fighting for life after nail bar fire is being treated as suspect
- Father told to walk four miles home in torrential rain with baby over £3 parking fee
- Man who collapsed and died in Brighton street named
- Sussex set to be hotter than Istanbul, Prague and San Marino this weekend