Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Brighton mother hits out at TV presenter Dan Hill over child maintenance
- Brighton and Hove City Council 'lays down welcome mat for travellers'
- Ballot for train drivers over 2.65% pay offer
- Brighton 'at crisis point': City’s heritage and architecture victim of wanton neglect
- ‘Schools must focus on the arts for top rating’: Harman