Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Teenager's 16th birthday party shut down by police after gatecrasher chaos
- The gloves are coming off! It's the battle of the tourist attractions as the Brighton Wheel takes on the i360
- Brighton and Hove bus company announce fare increases - but not for all passengers
- RSPCA search for the purrfect new home
- Charity set up by Body Shop founder under investigation over grants