Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Wetherspoon plan first hotel in Sussex at its boozer in Brighton's West Street
- Proud to call Brighton our home - Poll shows 91% of Brightonians wouldn't choose to live anywhere else
- ‘Smugglers hole’ discovered in pub
- Brewery’s plan to open 20 pubs in just five years
- Ever fancied playing Pac-Man through the streets of Brighton?