Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Animal rights activists’ threats force children's charity to cancel fundraiser
- Plain clothes police officers monitoring traveller encampments after residents complaints
- Disruption into London Bridge as fallen tree damages rail and train
- Killer freed from jail to strike again in terrifying stab horror
- Investigation after death on mental health unit