Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Boy left "shaken" after stranger grabs him in Tesco while he looked at Easter eggs
- Supermum saves daughter from chocking on gobstopper
- Passers-by intervene as man is assaulted by two women and a man he had met earlier in the night
- Claws for thought as beauty queen is caged to highlight tigers' plight
- It's our birthday: The Argus celebrates 135 years