Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Armed gang shot wrong man through letterbox of his Brighton home in case of mistaken identity
- Pervert caught filming up a woman's skirt in Brighton's River Island store gets camera ban
- Five arrested over £1.2m haul of fake pound coins seized at six addresses across Sussex
- Lowest numbers of drink-driving arrests for four years
- Six bedroom mansion looks set to become the most expensive property in Brighton