Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Dog attacker let go by police but could still face RSPCA prosecution
- Calls for more police patrols after girl, 13, grabbed and dragged by man
- Big launch of historic Argus photo archive
- Birth rate falls by 12% at hospital trust raises fears over maternity services
- Road blocked after cars crash