Two council leaders will find out today if they have scooped a top award.
The Local Government Information Unit (LGIU), which organises the awards, said they had been nominated by the public and shortlisted from a record number of nominees.
A panel of judges will decide the winner on the basis of commitment to the role, a vision for their community, successful leadership, good community relations, accountability and the ability to unite supporters.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Parents protest over "stressful" SATS could cost them £60 fines
- Spring sunshine brings bank holiday boost to tourism
- Homeless beggars continue to be a target for Sussex Police
- PICTURE GALLERY: A blaze of colours and cars at tattoo convention
- GP practices in Brighton and Hove looking increasingly likely to close