Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Sussex property landlord fined for damp and fire risk
7:00am Tuesday 26th February 2013 in News
A rogue landlord who left a property with damp, mould and holes which left it vulnerable to rat infestation has been ordered for pay more than £5,000.
Hastings Borough Council took Terence Paxman, of Woking, Surrey, to court after he failed to comply with an improvement notice for a home in Braybooke Road, Hastings.
The local authority claimed Mr Paxman did not remedy problems with damp, fire safety and domestic hygiene hazards 18 months after being told.
This included not providing rubbish bins for tenants or installing smoke alarms.
Mr Paxman initially pleaded not guilty, but then changed his plea to guilty.
He was fined £4,250 and told to pay full costs and a victim surcharge to the local authority.
Speaking afterwards, George O’Reilly, station commander at Hastings Fire station, said: “This property was simply an accident waiting to happen, with possibly tragic consequences.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Crews tackle chimney fire in Barcombe
- Arson probe after Brighton bench set on fire
- Brighton man rescued after setting his supper on fire
- Missing Crawley teen found "safe and unharmed"
- Newhaven and Bognor given millions of pounds to regenerate towns
Comments are closed on this article.