Rush hour traffic ground to a near-standstill when roadworks to repair potholes overran.
Crews from East Sussex County Council were scheduled to finish repairing the A259 between Newhaven and Seaford at 4.30pm yesterday (February 25).
But the road was still partially blocked more than two hours later, leaving drivers facing long delays to get home from work.
Journeys that would usually take a few minutes took more than an hour as motorists sat frustrated in long queues.
On Twitter, Sarah McAdam said: “It’s been nearly an hour from Piddinghoe to Newhaven, not even reached Newhaven yet. Nightmare.”
A spokeswoman for East Sussex County Council said the work should be finished today (February 26).
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- CCTV catches ‘scum’ snatching charity tin
- Gatwick chaos as IT glitch grounds planes
- Gay woman tells Tory: give me a clear answer
- PC ‘lied about grandma’s cash’
- Man stabbed in city centre street packed with clubbers