Rush hour traffic ground to a near-standstill when roadworks to repair potholes overran.
Crews from East Sussex County Council were scheduled to finish repairing the A259 between Newhaven and Seaford at 4.30pm yesterday (February 25).
But the road was still partially blocked more than two hours later, leaving drivers facing long delays to get home from work.
Journeys that would usually take a few minutes took more than an hour as motorists sat frustrated in long queues.
On Twitter, Sarah McAdam said: “It’s been nearly an hour from Piddinghoe to Newhaven, not even reached Newhaven yet. Nightmare.”
A spokeswoman for East Sussex County Council said the work should be finished today (February 26).
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Weather warning for rain issued by Met Office
- Double standards row as police car is pictured on double yellow lines
- PACA still without a permanent head as James Fox investigation continues
- UPDATED: Sussex Police non-emergency 101 number problem is fixed
- Brighton man who groomed vulnerable girl jailed for 14 years