Rush hour traffic ground to a near-standstill when roadworks to repair potholes overran.
Crews from East Sussex County Council were scheduled to finish repairing the A259 between Newhaven and Seaford at 4.30pm yesterday (February 25).
But the road was still partially blocked more than two hours later, leaving drivers facing long delays to get home from work.
Journeys that would usually take a few minutes took more than an hour as motorists sat frustrated in long queues.
On Twitter, Sarah McAdam said: “It’s been nearly an hour from Piddinghoe to Newhaven, not even reached Newhaven yet. Nightmare.”
A spokeswoman for East Sussex County Council said the work should be finished today (February 26).
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Concern grows for teenage girl who disappeared on way to school
- Suspected shoplifter: "My puppy has died, give me a refund"
- Woman sought over attempted £2000 fraud
- 64-year-old died in squalor hours after PCSO tapped on her window and decided she was OK
- Man jailed over drugs factory at OAP’s mock Tudor home