Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Creepy contraband found at Gatwick
7:40am Sunday 3rd March 2013 in News
Border force officers seized an unusual kind of contraband.
Officers at Gatwick Airport discovered 94 kilos of dried insects after stopping a 22-year-old man travelling from Burkina Faso via Istanbul.
When officers checked his luggage they found tens of thousands of dried caterpillars wrapped in cellophane.
The man claimed the creepy crawlies were for personal consumption and they were to be used as food, but the haul breached controls on the importation of animal products and they were confiscated.
Officers warned the hungry traveller about the restrictions on bringing dried insects into the country.
He was told his snacks would be destroyed.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Victim "fabricated" sex assault story - day eleven of Albion players' trial
- Dad-of-two was visiting brother and nephew when he was gunned down in Hove
- UPDATE: A27 closed in both directions near Worthing after serious accident
- Brighton Half Marathon places are selling in record time
- TV comic Hugh will open new school buildings