Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Hundreds sign petition to protect Seven Dials elm
7:02pm Wednesday 6th March 2013 in News
Hundreds of people have signed a petition against the felling of a historic elm.
Contractors from Brighton and Hove City Council began work on improving the Seven Dials roundabout this week.
However, residents are unhappy that as part of the scheme, a tree in Vernon Terrace, Hove, will be cut down.
Locals, who claim they were not informed of the potential loss of the tree, have been holding vigils this week.
About 500 people have signed a petition today against the plan which has since been presented to transport committee chairman Ian Davey.
Among them was Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas.
Locals claim work on cutting down the tree will start tomorrow.
- Albion apologise to Palace over dressing room incident
- Say 'hola' to new dentists in Brighton
- Resting place found for skull discovered on West Sussex beach
- Superheroes step out in Brighton for African charity
- Man killed in Hove street shooting named as Xhem Krasniqi