Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Smoking taxi driver fined heavily for breaching ban in cab
A taxi driver who smoked in his vehicle has been ordered to pay more than £300.
Gary Smith, 49, of Perth Road, St Leonards was seen by a council officer smoking whilst driving a private hire vehicle on January 8 this year.
Smith admitted smoking in a smoke free place.
He was fined £100, ordered to pay costs of £198 and £20 victim surcharge.
Hastings Borough Council Councillor Phil Scott said: “This successful prosecution demonstrates that we will not tolerate any non compliance of the private hire terms and conditions from drivers of vehicles licensed by us.
“It’s important to us that the licensed fleet offer passengers the best possible service.
“Let this prosecution be a warning to all.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Political coup to oust Brighton and Hove council leader fails
- Open day at well-being centre in Hove
- Sussex Boat owners urged to carry out safety checks
- Sussex mum of eight guilty of £350,000 benefit fraud
- Plans for rooftop gardens in Brighton and Hove