Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Blessing for threatened Brighton elm tree
9:40am Friday 15th March 2013 in News
A tree threatened with the chop was blessed by residents in a special ceremony.
Brighton and Hove City Council gave the historic elm in Vernon Terrace, Brighton, a two-week reprieve after protesters camped in it for three days.
The tree was to be felled as part of the revamp of Seven Dials junction.
With locals now drawing up ideas for an alternative, more than a dozen people gathered around the elm for an inter-faith humanist ceremony.
Among those present were ten-year-old Holly Dove and her nine-year-old brother Joshua who wrote a special blessing.
This was after they took food and drinks to the protesters last week.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Fears man found dead in industrial estate 'skip' could have been accidentally crushed after getting in a bin
- Choccywoccydoodah counts cost of 'out of control' Brighton squat party
- Blonde-haired man on bike flashed at 12-year-old
- Police pay tribute to Community Support Officer who has stepped down after a 10 year career
- Man charged with shouting racist abuse at Asian shop staff
Comments are closed on this article.