Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Blessing for threatened Brighton elm tree
9:40am Friday 15th March 2013 in News
A tree threatened with the chop was blessed by residents in a special ceremony.
Brighton and Hove City Council gave the historic elm in Vernon Terrace, Brighton, a two-week reprieve after protesters camped in it for three days.
The tree was to be felled as part of the revamp of Seven Dials junction.
With locals now drawing up ideas for an alternative, more than a dozen people gathered around the elm for an inter-faith humanist ceremony.
Among those present were ten-year-old Holly Dove and her nine-year-old brother Joshua who wrote a special blessing.
This was after they took food and drinks to the protesters last week.
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Man killed in Hove street shooting named as Xhem Krasniqi
- Port alert launched as police hunt for gunman in fatal Hove triple shooting
- Update: Priest jailed for ten years after being convicted of abusing children
- Angry motorcyclist describes parking permit drama as 'appalling'
- A27 eastbound at Falmer closed after kerosene and diesel spillage