St Aubyns school in Rottingdean set to close after rescue deal talks fail

The Argus: St Aubyns school in Rottingdean set to close after rescue deal talks fail St Aubyns school in Rottingdean set to close after rescue deal talks fail

A private school is to close after negotiations to save it failed.

Hurstpierpoint College officials said the offer for them to take on St Aubyns made by the Cothill Educational Trust was rejected unanimously by the college’s governors following talks last week.

The college said the two parties were so far apart in their positions that renegotiating the deal was not possible.

In an announcement made to parents last night, Cothill announced the 118-year-old prep school will now close this summer and about 100 of the remaining pupils will need to find new schools for the next academic year.

In February, the school’s current managers said it would close in the summer because of falling student numbers and an inability to recruit a new head.

The trust only took over the school in March of last year.

Hurstpierpoint College head Tim Manly said the college would have been happy to acquire the school on terms not dissimilar to those with which the Cothill Trust secured St Aubyns a year earlier.

It is claimed that the trust were seeking a financial agreement of more than twice the previous deal while leasing the site and its buildings to Hurstpierpoint College.

The Argus understands the trust were seeking £1 million to recover their investment in taking on St Aubyns’ debt last year and to cover losses incurred in running the school.

Mr Manly said: “Had Hurstpier- point College been able to acquire the school on terms not dissimilar to those with which the Cothill Trust secured St Aubyns exactly twelve months ago, then I believe that a St Aubyns/Hurst partnership would have provided an excellent and mutually beneficial arrangement for both communities.

“However, the terms and conditions of Cothill’s proposals were such that the college governors unanimously rejected them and regretfully concluded that further negotiation would not be in the best interests of either St Aubyns or of Hurstpierpoint College.”

In a letter to parents, Cothill principal Adrian Richardson said the trust had considered several options to keep the school open but felt the time had come to make a final decision to end weeks of uncertainty.

He added: “The trustees believe that the CET property at St Aubyns can be put to better use for the advancement of education, either by using the site for an educational purpose other than an independent preparatory school or by realising the assets and using the funds to advance education by developing other successful schools within the group or providing bursaries. “

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:35pm Tue 9 Apr 13

rolivan says...

If they purchased this last year what happened to their Business plan it has obviously gone pearshaped.I hope they cannot asset strip.The Trust is obviously profitable if it keeps buying properties.
If they purchased this last year what happened to their Business plan it has obviously gone pearshaped.I hope they cannot asset strip.The Trust is obviously profitable if it keeps buying properties. rolivan

12:53pm Tue 9 Apr 13

kopite_rob says...

You'd have to strongly suspect asset stripping was at the root of this takeover.
They're sitting on a nice prime bit of developers heaven.
For it to all go horribly wrong in less than a year is a bit tongue in cheek to believe.
You'd have to strongly suspect asset stripping was at the root of this takeover. They're sitting on a nice prime bit of developers heaven. For it to all go horribly wrong in less than a year is a bit tongue in cheek to believe. kopite_rob

12:55pm Tue 9 Apr 13

mimseycal says...

I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.
I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind. mimseycal

12:56pm Tue 9 Apr 13

Kiddon72 says...

rolivan wrote:
If they purchased this last year what happened to their Business plan it has obviously gone pearshaped.I hope they cannot asset strip.The Trust is obviously profitable if it keeps buying properties.
Here is a clue for you.

How many flats and houses in the highly marketable village of Rottingdean can you fit on the land occupied by the school and it's playing fields ?

There was never any intention to keep the school viable after they had purchased it. There is too much money to be made by other means
[quote][p][bold]rolivan[/bold] wrote: If they purchased this last year what happened to their Business plan it has obviously gone pearshaped.I hope they cannot asset strip.The Trust is obviously profitable if it keeps buying properties.[/p][/quote]Here is a clue for you. How many flats and houses in the highly marketable village of Rottingdean can you fit on the land occupied by the school and it's playing fields ? There was never any intention to keep the school viable after they had purchased it. There is too much money to be made by other means Kiddon72

12:57pm Tue 9 Apr 13

george smith says...

mimseycal wrote:
I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.
Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector
[quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.[/p][/quote]Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector george smith

1:26pm Tue 9 Apr 13

longbenavery says...

It is fairly obvious that the intention of the acquisition was to asset strip!
It is fairly obvious that the intention of the acquisition was to asset strip! longbenavery

1:28pm Tue 9 Apr 13

mimseycal says...

george smith wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.
Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector
Your point?
[quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.[/p][/quote]Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector[/p][/quote]Your point? mimseycal

1:39pm Tue 9 Apr 13

rolivan says...

mimseycal wrote:
george smith wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.
Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector
Your point?
Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?
[quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.[/p][/quote]Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector[/p][/quote]Your point?[/p][/quote]Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK? rolivan

1:41pm Tue 9 Apr 13

rolivan says...

rolivan wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
george smith wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.
Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector
Your point?
Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?
I forgot to mention that includes a 4 course Lunch
[quote][p][bold]rolivan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.[/p][/quote]Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector[/p][/quote]Your point?[/p][/quote]Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?[/p][/quote]I forgot to mention that includes a 4 course Lunch rolivan

1:52pm Tue 9 Apr 13

mimseycal says...

rolivan wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
george smith wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.
Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector
Your point?
Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?
It's a class and income bracket thing rather then an education thing I expect.
[quote][p][bold]rolivan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.[/p][/quote]Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector[/p][/quote]Your point?[/p][/quote]Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?[/p][/quote]It's a class and income bracket thing rather then an education thing I expect. mimseycal

6:13pm Tue 9 Apr 13

Surely not! says...

mimseycal wrote:
rolivan wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
george smith wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.
Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector
Your point?
Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?
It's a class and income bracket thing rather then an education thing I expect.
100 euros a month?

I don't believe you.
[quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rolivan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.[/p][/quote]Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector[/p][/quote]Your point?[/p][/quote]Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?[/p][/quote]It's a class and income bracket thing rather then an education thing I expect.[/p][/quote]100 euros a month? I don't believe you. Surely not!

6:21pm Tue 9 Apr 13

longman says...

It is nothing to do with either class or money. We wanted a private education for our children because we felt that the local schools did not offer what our children needed - small class sizes for a start. Also, the three schools near to us were all in special measures. No way were we going to send our children there. We scrimped and saved - no holidays for example. We live by the sea, why go away when we have that, as well as wonderful countryside called The Downs! We dont smoke and we dont drink. Dull to some, but it worked for us. Our children are now successful adults; all went to decent universities to study 'proper' degrees. Well worth the sacrifice. Some want to spend their money on holidays abroad, drink and cigarettes. We chose education. Its a free country so dont bemoan those of us who feel the best for our kids is a private education! Remember, we pay for state education - in our council tax!
It is nothing to do with either class or money. We wanted a private education for our children because we felt that the local schools did not offer what our children needed - small class sizes for a start. Also, the three schools near to us were all in special measures. No way were we going to send our children there. We scrimped and saved - no holidays for example. We live by the sea, why go away when we have that, as well as wonderful countryside called The Downs! We dont smoke and we dont drink. Dull to some, but it worked for us. Our children are now successful adults; all went to decent universities to study 'proper' degrees. Well worth the sacrifice. Some want to spend their money on holidays abroad, drink and cigarettes. We chose education. Its a free country so dont bemoan those of us who feel the best for our kids is a private education! Remember, we pay for state education - in our council tax! longman

6:29pm Tue 9 Apr 13

rolivan says...

Surely not! wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
rolivan wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
george smith wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.
Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector
Your point?
Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?
It's a class and income bracket thing rather then an education thing I expect.
100 euros a month?

I don't believe you.
How would you like me to prove it.
[quote][p][bold]Surely not![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rolivan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.[/p][/quote]Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector[/p][/quote]Your point?[/p][/quote]Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?[/p][/quote]It's a class and income bracket thing rather then an education thing I expect.[/p][/quote]100 euros a month? I don't believe you.[/p][/quote]How would you like me to prove it. rolivan

6:35pm Tue 9 Apr 13

rolivan says...

rolivan wrote:
Surely not! wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
rolivan wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
george smith wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.
Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector
Your point?
Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?
It's a class and income bracket thing rather then an education thing I expect.
100 euros a month?

I don't believe you.
How would you like me to prove it.
Just type in Cost of Private education in France into Google and there are several artcles one under Justlanded.com
[quote][p][bold]rolivan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Surely not![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rolivan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.[/p][/quote]Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector[/p][/quote]Your point?[/p][/quote]Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?[/p][/quote]It's a class and income bracket thing rather then an education thing I expect.[/p][/quote]100 euros a month? I don't believe you.[/p][/quote]How would you like me to prove it.[/p][/quote]Just type in Cost of Private education in France into Google and there are several artcles one under Justlanded.com rolivan

6:48pm Tue 9 Apr 13

rolivan says...

Also found this
Schools which are “sous contrat” ask parents to pay an annual fee which ranges from around €400 per year for some of the less expensive private catholic schools to € 4500 per year for state-funded bilingual and international schools. Bear in mind that these fees don’t include lunches, registration fees, transport, materials etc.
Also found this Schools which are “sous contrat” ask parents to pay an annual fee which ranges from around €400 per year for some of the less expensive private catholic schools to € 4500 per year for state-funded bilingual and international schools. Bear in mind that these fees don’t include lunches, registration fees, transport, materials etc. rolivan

7:50pm Tue 9 Apr 13

mimseycal says...

Surely not! wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
rolivan wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
george smith wrote:
mimseycal wrote:
I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.
Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector
Your point?
Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?
It's a class and income bracket thing rather then an education thing I expect.
100 euros a month?

I don't believe you.
No ... here in England.
[quote][p][bold]Surely not![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rolivan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]george smith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mimseycal[/bold] wrote: I must admit that asset stripping is a thought that crossed my mind.[/p][/quote]Was St Mary's Hall asset stripped? Odd when you think that these private schools sell private education on the fact they are more interested in the quality of education than the state sector[/p][/quote]Your point?[/p][/quote]Our daughter goes to a Private School here in France at a cost of 100 euros a month why is it so expensive for Private Education in the UK?[/p][/quote]It's a class and income bracket thing rather then an education thing I expect.[/p][/quote]100 euros a month? I don't believe you.[/p][/quote]No ... here in England. mimseycal

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree