O2 signals intent to return hospital mast

O2 signals intent to return hospital mast

O2 signals intent to return hospital mast

First published in News
Last updated
by

A mobile phone mast could be returned to a hospital just weeks after it was removed, plunging residents and medical staff into a communication blackout.

O2 is considering restoring the phone mast to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, as one of several possible sites.

The communications company’s decision to remove the mast at the end of last month has left thousands of residents without a mobile phone signal, while creating havoc with hospital staff’s ability to be contacted.

A company spokesman said it was seeking legal permission to reinstate the mast but did not have a timescale for when it would be back and operational.

Customers are being offered goodwill credit including a month’s line rental free by way of compensation on a case-by-case basis.

Brighton and Hove city councillor Gill Mitchell described the situation as “an utter, utter cock-up”.

She said: “There seems to have been a breakdown in communications.

“The hospital trust told O2 they had 18 months to remove the post and O2 just put a date in their diary and then removed it even though the hospital renovation could be more than a year away.”

More doctors have contacted The Argus after our story in Thursday’s paper revealing the extent of the problems.

Radiology expert Dr Hugh Harvey said: “As a doctor, I rely heavily on my phone whilst working, especially when on-call. There have been unfortunate incidents now that have directly resulted in delay of patient care simply because no one could reach me, or I could not reach them.”

An O2 spokesman said: “We are progressing several options with the utmost urgency in order to restore full service as quickly as possible.

“We have the resources ready but cannot do anything without the appropriate legal permissions which we are pursuing with the highest priority.

“Again we apologise to those customers affected but can reassure them that we are absolutely committed to resolving this as soon as we can.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:31am Mon 15 Apr 13

Morpheus says...

Just a repeat of an old report. O2 were told to remove the mast and they did. Too bad.
Just a repeat of an old report. O2 were told to remove the mast and they did. Too bad. Morpheus
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree