Seven Dials elm activists in celebration event after Brighton and Hove City Council U-turn (From The Argus)
Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Seven Dials elm activists in celebration event after Brighton and Hove City Council U-turn
1:00pm Monday 1st July 2013 in News
Activists who campaigned to save an elm tree held a celebration event at the weekend.
The protesters saved the tree from the chop as part of the Seven Dials roundabout development.
They officially brought their campaign to an end on Saturday with songs, poems and talks.
Tom Druitt, who camped out in the tree earlier this year, scaled it once more to remove the “Thank You” banner.
It was set to be chopped down as part of the roundabout improvements but plans were altered following public pressure.
The U-turn cost Brighton and Hove City Council £20,000.
- Father of teenager killed in Syria says he was a "martyr"
- Girl injured after plunging from Worthing seafront fairground ride
- Teenager killed in Syria conflict
- Preparing to mark 750th battle anniversary
- A22 Hailsham closed due to downed power cables
Comments are closed on this article.