Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Pupils from Patcham House are staying put, Brighton and Hove City Council says
4:30pm Thursday 11th July 2013 in News
The controversial proposal to move autistic children five miles across the city has been officially scrapped by the council.
The Argus broke the news last week, and a council report has confirmed that the proposal to move vulnerable pupils from Patcham House in Brighton to Downs Park in Portslade will not go ahead.
The controversial proposal was met with fury by parents and opposition councillors.
The move was suggested by Brighton and Hove City Council to accommodate adult learners, currently in Connaught House, Brighton, who would have been relocated to Patcham House School.
But the proposal – which would have affected autistic pupils aged 12-14 – has been scrapped now that an alternative site for the adult learners has been located, according to two Labour councillors.
A statement from the Children and Young Person Committee pre-meeting on Monday said: “It has been decided that the proposal to relocate Patcham House KS3 students should not be pursued further.
“Officers from Children’s Services, Adult Social Care and Property and Design should be requested to develop and as necessary consult upon proposals to relocate the Connaught Adult Day Care Centre to alternative provision.”
Parent Lisa Stonebridge was in tears when she found out that her 12-year-old son Harry wouldn’t be moving school, claiming it was the “best news” she’d received since her boy had been accepted at the special needs school.
- Lifelong cyclist dies after crashing into a fence
- UPDATE: Worthing flat fire broke out in large cannabis factory
- Gay Brighton couple to have the city's first ever same-sex wedding
- Plans to turn Lewes Magistrate's Court into Premier Inn hotel rejected by council
- Climate change advisor 'in favour' of fracking
Comments are closed on this article.