Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
Sussex hosepipe ban ruled out
Paddling pool lovers and garden enthusiasts have no reason to fear a return of the dreaded hosepipe ban this year.
Despite the unusually dry weather householders across Sussex have been reassured by water firms there is no risk of a drought this year.
Companies which supply the county’s homes said last year was one of the wettest on record, which significantly replenished water stocks over the winter.
It is in stark contrast to the two unusually dry winters preceding it, which left some groundwater supplies and rivers as low as the drought of 1976.
Meyrick Gough, of Southern Water, said: “We are in a very strong position from a water resources point of view.
"2012 was the wettest year on record in England and all that rain meant our water stocks were completely replenished over the winter, ready for the warmer summer months.
“However, we always ask customers to use water wisely.”
A spokeswoman for South East Water said: “We’re in a good position. We always tell people to use water wisely but there’s no risk of drought or hosepipe ban this year.”
Alan Sprules, of Shoreham- based firm Acacia Landscape, said: “It is good news because peo- ple will think about planting and turfing their gardens more.
“In previous years people don’t think about their gardens so much because they dry out and they can’t use a hose.
“It does create problems for us as we have a lot of plants that need watering and a lot of work – we need to get a hose out.”
Southern Water and South East Water introduced a hosepipe ban in Sussex in April 5, 2012.
It was the first time since 2006 a ban had been imposed in the county.
The restrictions covered watering public parks, gardens and allotments; and filling swimming pools, paddling pools, ponds and fountains.
Despite one of the wettest Aprils on record, experts warned the drought could last until Christ- mas.
More than a month’s worth of rain fell on June 10 with parts of West Sussex underwater.
Despite the downpour South East Water said the drought restrictions would remain in place until “at least the autumn” but the ban was eventually lifted two days later on June 13.
- Man seriously injured in Shoreham machete attack
- Sussex boffins discover why koalas have such deep voices
- 23-year-old woman 'raped' by stranger on the beach
- Peer calls for Boxing Day trains
- Anniversary tribute to Sir Patrick Moore
Comments are closed on this article.